Second Grade

Fluency

>

love_luna

Fluency
Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I have a small group of second graders for about an hour. I am trying to find fun and new ways to get them reading the passages out of out QuickReads book.

I am running out of ideas! what are some ways you all have done fluency?

love_luna is offline   Reply With Quote

zebrafan

fluency
Old 04-30-2018, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you only using the Quick Reads or can you use something else. We have a packet from TPt that is a 5 Step Fluency. They read and mark text, do a wordwork task (like highlight the short u words, another step has them read in a silly way (like a monster voice, or in a sad way, or like a robot.
It is engaging for the kids. You could have them ready any passages in a different voice.
zebrafan is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 05-04-2018, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My fluency kids really enjoy reader's theater. Have you tried any? They also like fluency tic tac toe. I have a lot of phrases on cards. They choose a card and read it out loud. If their partner thinks,they read it fluently they pick a spot for their x or o. If not the partner models. No x or o is placed and play continues.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

poetry
Old 05-05-2018, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1) I love doing a mini unit on poetry for the last month of the year. I involve all of my reading intervention kiddos. I begin by reading each day 1-3 poems and we discuss genres etc. . . We read poetry, plays, all kinds of prose and even write and sing songs to summarize what fluent readers do when reading. Intonation and phrasing play an important part. You can post poems all over the classroom on charts and maybe the poem of the day/week can be manipulated using a pocket chart. Everyone really liked it and some of my 3rd-5th graders wanted to research some poets.

Modeling ,modeling, modeling of what fluency sounds like.

2) Listening and critiquing stories from a CD or Smart Board (without words) My reluctant 4th-5th graders really liked this had a rubric/evaluation sheet and made comments on what the reader did or didn't do to engage the listeners.

Last edited by luvtulearn; 05-06-2018 at 09:02 AM..
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote