Help

BusyBoard

Cleaning out a classroom

>

Sbkangas5

Cleaning out a classroom
Old 04-25-2022, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I decided to switch grade levels, but it will be for a trial year and then I can decide to stay or to go back. I obviously need to clean out my room (so intimidating!). I have a ton of great games (think Lakeshore games, not homemade ones), hands-on activities, manipulatives, etc. that are great for kindergarten but I won't want to use for TK. So, do I...

Leave the good stuff, but labeled with my name, in case I go back?

or

Take everything and just leave curriculum?

And what about the walls? We have a math wall that goes with our curriculum. Should I leave that up and take everything else down? Or just take it all and let the new person decide how to put up the math stuff (it's a lot)?

I'm also taking 3 of my tables because I got them through Donor's Choose and love them. Do I replace them with something else, or leave it and let the new teacher pick tables out of our school's huge pile of extras?

I'm excited about the change, but this part is going to be tough!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 04-25-2022, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Take everything & just leave the curriculum
because you may actually use it in TK to differentiate lessons, you can store them in your new classroom, if you leave them in your old class the new teacher may want to use the physical space were the games are stored & if you leave them someone may take or bother them. I have a huge Lakeshore game collection & I wouldnít want it out of my sight.

2. Walls- take it all
bc you can use your resources again in the future

3. Tables- replace them with tables prior to the new teacher arriving so that the room is completely furnished & one less thing he/she would need to do
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 04-25-2022, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you keep your things because you don't know if it will be a permanent move for you. Don't leave them because things can disappear and this isn't a trusted colleague. Later on after you meet her you can always offer to loan her them if you trust her to take care of them.

Is the way you have the standard the math wall up the standard way any teacher would put it up, aside from which wall to put it on, or is it something more specific to each teacher?

Take the tables. If you could pick out and have custodians move in 3 tables that would be very helpful. Then if she wants a different size or shape, she can dig through and find something she likes better. But it would be depressing to have to walk into a room and have to hunt for something as necessary as tables.

Congrats on your new position!
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Your room
Old 04-26-2022, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’d take whatever was yours, like all your donorschoose materials. Anything bought with Kdgn. funds I’d leave for the new teacher. Take your tables and ask the custodian to leave replacements.

Anything that you bought with your own money, take with you. If you leave it, it might be hard to take it back.

Since it’s a new program, do you get a budget to start the class?
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-26-2022, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When a teacher moves schools or grades in my district they have to take all personal items. Any materials that belong to the district must stay in the room. This would be all supplies not bought by the teacher, books, furniture and so on. I would take all of your personal items. You could put one table in the room and the teacher could choose what she wants. Good luck with the grade change.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 04-26-2022, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíd take everything! You may be going back to that next year if you donít like your switch!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-26-2022, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Since itís a new program, do you get a budget to start the class?
Yes! I told my P my wishlist sits at around $12,000 and he said that sounds about right.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

moving
Old 04-28-2022, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If it belongs to the school, leave it for the new teacher.

If it belongs to you, take it.

If you don't have room to store it, ask if there is a closet somewhere to put it. I have done that in the past. If you leave stuff in your previous room, even with the understanding that it is only a loan, don't expect to get it back in the condition you left it.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

New room
Old 05-08-2022, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Personally, I like to enter a bare bones room. Aside from the curriculum, I donít want anything from another teacher without discussing it first. Iíve had teachers kindly offer to leave certain items they might return for, but I insisted they take those items to keep them safe.

Iím changing positions this year and am leaving everything purchased with school money. When I land in my new classroom, Iíll assess whatís there and request what I need from that siteís admin.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-08-2022, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congrats on your move!

If I was the incoming teacher, I would assume anything you left behind was now mine. Most of my classroom library and all of my math manipulatives have other teachers' names on them! I don't think you should expect another teacher to store your stuff in their room, even if you are okay with them using it. Unless of course you made arrangements with them first.

apple annie is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

depends
Old 05-09-2022, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

In my district Donors Choose stays with the school and I believe the classroom for which it was purchased for. .
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote