Resource Teacher

First Year Teacher

>

jwolskij

First Year Teacher
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone!

As my title shows, I am a first year teacher. I have recently accepted a position at an elementary school as a 3rd/4th grade resource teacher. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. I'm really nervous about my first day and what all is going to happen. What kind of things should I do on my first day? Anyone have favorite behavior plans for resource classrooms? What kind of things should I know about resource classrooms, particularly with the older elementary grades?!

I know my first year isn't going to be ideal, but I want to make it the best that I can! Any help you all came provide will be much appreciated!

Sincerely,
First year teacher looking for some advice.

jwolskij is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Congrats on your new job!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first days of school should focus on your routines & procedures. Students in resource settings might need LOTS of practice. Remember to the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid) when planning your room set-up, routines, & procedures because it will be much easier in the long run. Kids this age want to please you, but there's a reason they're in a resource placement. You'll need to spend some time the first few weeks assessing your kids' current academic levels, so have a plan for making that happen. Keep in mind that our best & brightest students can only focus for about the number of minutes equal to their age, so your kids will need everything presented in tiny portions. Also, think of how you'll track their behavior & academic goals, because if you let that get away from you the paperwork will derail quickly. Keep your room decor simple, and focus on having effective materials instead of cute ones. Cute is fine, but many new teachers spend far too much money & energy on cute at the expense of effective.

Good luck, and keep looking around on this site because our members have excellent ideas!
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote