Help

Resource Teacher

Teacher resource- where do I start?

>

Ms. K 1

Teacher resource- where do I start?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting my second year teaching. Last year I taught regular ed third grade. It was a great year! I had student taught in the classroom down the hall and knew exactly what to expect. This year (in 3 weeks) I will be teaching fourth grade resource room. I went to school for Special Ed. but always pictured myself in a self contained room. I am so excited about my new placement, but also really nervous. I am having a hard time picturing how my classroom will run. I keep referencing everything back to my general education class mindset from last year.

I am in charge of grades for math, reading, and writing for my students. It is all pull out. I only have fourth graders (which is great! One curriculum!). I also have a para who is in charge of sight word and cold read data collection.

Does anyone have suggestions on:
1. Procedures for a resource room
2. Tips for grading/ homework
3. Behavior management (I like to keep it simple)
4. Any types to help me out

Thanks,

B

Ms. K 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BoatGirl00

congrats
Old 08-24-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats on your Resource position. I started out in gen ed and this is my 3rd year as a Resource teacher. I really love it. The transition was easier than I thought (besides keeping up with the paperwork). I LOVE my job because when I was in the gen ed classroom, there came a time when we had to move on. If a student didn't master a skill, I could still try to remediate, but there came a time when I had to move on. Resource is so different than that. If my kiddos aren't ready to move on, we don't. If they don't meet their goals (I do hope they meet them, but if they don't), we take more time. They have the opportunity to really practice each skill before adding to it. They get so much attention and don't get lost in the group. I think you will enjoy these aspects tremendously.

I don't have all the answers to your questions, but here's my 2 cents
1. Procedures for a resource room- have a simple reward system. Punch cards, stickers, etc. Break their day into segments and reward frequently. My kids use "I Can" charts. They each have a chart that has 2 "I Can" statements at the top. (ex. _____ can complete work with minimal prompting.) At the end of the period (30-60 minutes) they get a happy or sad face for the 2 "I Can" statements. They have individual goals (ex, 8/16 happy faces) and get extra computer time at the end of the day if they meet their daily goal. Also, every period they get a sticker, etc for getting at least 1 happy face. Two students in my room even have this page blown up and laminated on a clip board. It has their whole schedule and travels with them. This helps TREMENDOUSLY with transitioning to and from classrooms, lunch, etc.

2. Tips for grading/ homework- I teach K-3, so I don't give much homework. As far as grades, I'm still working on that. Right now, I grade on what we are working on (based on IEP goals) and write "below grade level" so parent knows they are not making Bs etc at their grade level. I'm going to work on this this year though trying to incorportate more grades from their grade level (not actual work but skills).

3. Behavior management (I like to keep it simple)- #1, also, I use a green happy face. When kids come in, they take their clothespin (each painted his/her own to make it more personal) and they put it on green to show me they are chosing to have a good day. Parent signs the "I Can" chart every day.

4. Any types to help me out- Progress might be slow. Celebrate it! Don't get discouraged. Save work samples not just for documentation, but so you can look back and be encouraged. Enjoy!

I can't wait to see what advice others have to offer- I'm always looking for things to do with/for my kiddos
BoatGirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. K 1

Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks BoatGirl. I am so looking forward to the "if they don't get it, don't move on". That was so frustrating for me in gen Ed. I love all of your advice.
Ms. K 1 is offline   Reply With Quote