Help

Resource Teacher

Help with a struggling reader!

>

Blueskykate

Help with a struggling reader!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am a new resource teacher at a private school. I have a fifth grade student who is reading at a third grade level. She struggles with fluency, automaticity, and phonics. However, her comprehension doesn't suffer too much considering her reading level. I have used the following programs with her: Read Naturally, Fountas & Pinnell, Reading A to Z and the Scott Foresman text... But I don't feel like it is making much of an improvement. Her fluency level is still around 80wpm on cold read and it's very inconsistent. Frequently, she'll struggle with sight words and be fine with multisyllabic words. Does any one have any suggestions? Any new strategies, programs, etc.? I feel like this girl has fallen through the cracks and I want to put a stop to it! But, I am running out of ideas.....

Blueskykate is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeTeaches

Reading Help
Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is also my first year as a Resource teacher, but I've had some extensive reading training over last summer and several occasions this year. Sounds like you're trying a lot of stuff, but you probably need to stick with one research-based program that addresses reading disabilities. I use Corrective Reading by SRA with my student who sounds identical to yours and have seen some solid growth.

If her phonics are not automatic, you should start there, because phonemic awareness is the basis for all reading. I have a book, highly recommended by the the experts on dyslexia around here (NC), called Recipe for Reading by Nina Traub that takes you step-by-step through the reading process. Also, the Florida Center for Reading Research (www.fcrr.org) has FREE resources (full curriculums) on their website for Phonemic Awareness, Fluency, etc. sorted by grade levels. It's a tremendous resource.

Also, there are workbooks for practice of phonics called Explode the Code or there are workbooks that go along with Recipe for Reading. There's also the Workbook for Dyslexics, also consumable, it costs about $25 on Amazon.

If the public school district around your school is offering Foundations for Reading training, I highly recommend it. It's required of all Resource teachers here, and it changed my life, honestly.

Here's a link to the National Reading Panel and they can link you to a lot of research-based programs. http://www.nationalreadingpanel.org
BeeTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

RTIisfun

Response to Blueskykate
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that the www.fcrr.org materials are great! I have been using them with some of my struggling readers, especially those who struggle with phonics. I love that the site's materials are all research-based and are totally free. There are multiple activities for scaffolding the instruction. I love the variety in what is offered.

I have a similar situation with one of my students. I think that giving her plenty of time to read will definitely benefit her in the areas of fluency and automaticity. Pairing her with a more competent reader for buddy-reading time, as well as giving her the opportuntity to read to a younger student may be good things to try as well. If her comprehension is not suffering, then I would not worry too much about not being able to do the phonics part. Some children just don't catch on to that, but turn out to be quite successful readers.
RTIisfun is offline   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

BeesTeaches said it well. I'd second her recommendations.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote

readingirl

see it right
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with all the recommendations given previously. I have had a student with a similar struggle in the past so, I read a bit about dyslexia thinking this may be a concern. In my research I found a program called See it Right!. The program is actually an assessment with questions and colored overlays which are used to determine if the student who struggles with fluency is actually having difficulty seeing the text correctly. It baffled my mind to see how a student of mine responded to the questions I asked. I found the correct color for her to use and she is now improving in her fluency when she uses the overlay.
See it Right! was developed by Dorothy Henson-Parker

readingirl is offline   Reply With Quote