Help

Resource Teacher

Student has illegible writing in 5th grade

>

zxm123

Student has illegible writing in 5th grade
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for ways to help my student. He is in the 5th grade and I can NOT read his writing. Does anyone have any experience helping children write more clearly? Any helpful techniques? I'm afraid the only way I will be able to read any of his work is if I make him type everything. But that is not realistic. Thanks for any professional advice you can offer.

zxm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Wow
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it actual writing, and not him trying to be funny? I had a student once in 4th that did 'scribble-scrabble' on all his work to mess with me. I threatened to call his mom and he stopped.

Another student, an 8th grader, insisted on using cursive. It was...illegible to say it kindly. Her print wasn't much better. What worked was having her write in all capital letters.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Xena Girl

Handwriting Issues
Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you tried using the tri-pencils. They are triangular in shape instead of round. I found these to be helpful. Also, I have given the student some handwriting sheets to practice with me with a small ruler. I have also used 1st and 2nd grade lined paper to reteach the proper formation of the letters and to have them write their paragraphs. I saw very good results with that.

I would be wondering if the student had other issues.

1. Poor eye sight - a school nurse can verify that
2. The student may have Scotopic Sensitivity. This is where the light that comes in through the eye does not process normally. The results is that the student can not see the lines of the paper. If they can not see the lines, then they can not write legibly. This is when the student receives overlays in a particular color so they can see.

If the student is a Special Education Student, I would be making a referral for Occupational Therapy.
Xena Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

miracle2013

Old 10-01-2013, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you tried typing, the use of the Neo worked wonders with my special education students. With so many of our students today using the computer at such a young age, they catch on to typing very quickly.
miracle2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajohns17

I had a student...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of my 5th graders was diagnosed autistic at the end of the year had the same issues as you are having. Part of his issue was not being able to see spacial differences. It was a struggle for him to type everything...especially during creative writing. So we made a deal that if I couldn't read it, I would ask him. If it was a test, same policy. Anytime he wanted to use the computer to type, I allowed him to do so. I also gave him graph paper for math. This helped immensely.
On projects, that required a visual display, I allowed him to receive help in writing.
I just did whatever I could to help him be successful.

Hope you find the ways that work best for you and your student.

ajohns17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melar

Hwt
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use the Handwriting Without Tears program, or parts of it with a couple of my students that are similar. I have made copies of the handwriting paper, with shading between the lines so he can see which lines to skip. It has helped a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWT paper mc.pdf (4.4 KB, 70 views)
Melar is offline   Reply With Quote