Help

Resource Teacher

First day ideas

>

kelstokes2

First day ideas
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be starting a new position in a new school teaching 5, 6, 7, and 8 resource room math. Students will come to me for a block of time each day. Wondering if any of you do a similar thing? If so, what do you usually cover the first day. I am transitioning to this position after teaching high school resource room for the last 10 years. I know things are going to be a bit different! Thanks!

kelstokes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jojobean82

I too
Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would like some first day ideas for students 1st thru 5th.
Jojobean82 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathRocks1028

Get to know them and vice versa
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

With those grades-and even some of the lower ones, I like to find out a little bit about them and their learning styles. I give them a 'questionnaire' of sorts-how do they feel about math -like, love, hate, etc... how do they feel about working in small groups? asking for help?...working on projects vs. taking notes vs. etc... How do they feel about place value, about fractions, about decimals... algebra... what's their confidence level on this?

Note: I also add what they feel strongly about in math-what they can do- as well as their attack plan. If they do not understand how to do something, who will/can they go to? If that doesn't work, what's their next step?... What is their goal?

This comes secondary to discussing behaviors, classroom prodecures..., but it helped me last year as I could go back to it during conferences and/or providing it for their teachers for their information. I also had them reevaluate themselves at the end-did they still feel the same way? Hope this helps!

You can probably find one of these questionnaires to adapt to your needs on TPT.
MathRocks1028 is offline   Reply With Quote