Help

Resource Teacher

Please help.

>

Ticks1

Please help.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and I have a sweet little girl who has some major attention/processing problems. If I am sitting right with her and working she does ok, but the minute I walk away she is staring into space , laying on her back, etc. During a math assessment I found her sitting on the floor with the contents of her desk around her. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was cleaning her desk. He dad told me she has been late to reach every milestone (walking, crawling, talking, etc) and parents are very concerned about her focus too. They are looking to me for answers and I do not know what to tell them. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to help this little girl?

Ticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Have they spoken with her doctor about this?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds as if she has some developmental issues, and those require a medical diagnosis. Meanwhile, it's impractical for you to stay by her side every moment, but you might try going by her desk every couple of minutes to be sure she's working. Lots of praise if she is, a simple reminder ("Do your job.") if she isn't. This can be effective in helping her return her focus to the task at hand. You also need to document all of this, of course, so that progress can be tracked.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

HopeYouDance

Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I completely agree with everything beachygrl said. Its essential that she be evaluated by a medical doctor, as well as be referred to your school's special ed. dept for further eval. in the mean time, it may help for her to earn some sort of rewards for staying on task for x amount of time (2 minutes, to start with may work). if she earns a certain amount of tokens, she may earn computer time or another reward of her choosing (that fits into your classroom routine of course). a timer may also work for her. good luck!
HopeYouDance is offline   Reply With Quote

gstwilightt

Ticks1
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ticks,

I am a special education teacher, and I would definately start documentation of the behaviors you are seeing. Also, I would try a small timer on her desk. I have several in my classroom that actually show red for the time that the student has. That way they can visually see the time disappering. I use this time especially with one of my 1st graders who is working on a 3-4 year old level. He knows that when the red is gone, he has to be finished with his work. I also divide his work into small chunks with breaks in between. Another idea you may try is hand signals that are just for you and her. I have two students who know if I adjust my glasses while looking their way that they need to stop what they are doing and pay attention. This way I do not have to draw attention to their behavior and they can correct it without others knowing anything about it. I hope these ideas help. Truly I would not wait very long before I got the special education team involved with this student even if it was only an observation to give you their opinion on the matter. Hope your year goes well.

Anna
gstwilightt is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

sounds like a kid I have now. The red disappearing clock is a Time Timer. I also have a visual schedule so she has something to look forward to (snack time, lunch, recess, break) and so she cn be prepared for what's next.

She sounds like she has sensory issues and Autistic tendencies. She needs to be put up for Special Eduction and she needs an eval.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote