Help

Resource Teacher

Teaching Writing

>

MsMino

Teaching Writing
Old 10-31-2013, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 6th & 7th grade LA resource. I worked in a special ed school for 7 years, and taught Reading. Now I'm working in public school and have been assigned to teach Writing. Our school has very high expectations for Writing and we are working on 5 paragraph persuasive essays. We use specific methods which follow Common Core, but how to you get a student to incorporate the skills without editing a paper for them? What strategies do you use?

MsMino is offline   Reply With Quote

xdxd

xdxd

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used the Learning Strategies Curriculum, mostly the 'sentence writing' but also the 'paragraph writing'. They are direct instruction but my students have done well with them though generalizing can be an issue.
If I have a student who mostly needs strategies to successfully participate in mainstream (as opposed to direct instruction in my room), I would make them checklists for self-editing. I would model with them on how to use the checklist to self-edit before them doing it independently. You might want it to the student's adaptations list so mainstream teachers let them use it for assignments in class.