Best And Worst Parts Of Teaching Resource? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Resource Teacher

Best And Worst Parts Of Teaching Resource?

>

MsNobody

Best And Worst Parts Of Teaching Resource?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am on my second year of searching for a special education teaching job. I had my heart set on having a self-contained class. However, a district where I interviewed before for a self-contained class a while ago, did not hire me, but they called me back today and asked if I'd be interested in an elementary resource teaching position.

I am not going to turn a job down if they end up offering it to me... and I know I can eventually move on to what I really want... but I am just not sure about this. The parts of teaching that I really love are creating lessons and activities that really engage the kids and get them curious. What I've heard about resource is that it is more like tutoring children on the lessons their teachers have provided, and you don't really get to use your own ideas or creativity at all.

My question to you all is, what is it really like to be a resource teacher? I know it varies among schools, but in your experience, what are the best and worst parts? Do you feel like you're really teaching? Do you feel fulfilled? Would you prefer a different type of special education teaching if you had the option? I want to know your honest feelings, so I can be prepared!

Thanks, everyone!

MsNobody is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

teaching Resource
Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The term "Resource" has different meanings, depending on your district. I taught Resource classes for years, and loved it. My students had me for ELAR, and it was their only ELAR class. I'd teach the state standards using materials at their level, and work on their IEP goals. Students made excellent progress. Other districts schedule SpEd students into GenEd academic classes, then Resource classes for time to work on their IEP goals. This frequently turns into a sort of desperate study hall time, which isn't as effective as it could be. This year, my district did away with Resource classes and moved all my SpEd kids into Co-Teach situations. I follow my 6th graders all day, and every day's a struggle. They're constantly being challenged at levels far beyond their current skill level. For instance, for my young man who reads at a Primer level is being required to determine whether a text is written in 3rd person limited or 3rd person omniscient point of view, and he's just clueless. It's madness. I MUCH prefer the Resource arrangement we had before, because it was so much better for my students.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

our schools resource
Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

in the elementary school consists of the teacher pulling IEP students out for their specially designed instruction. She has groups coming and going all day, and 5(I think) assistants that help her teach the groups. I think (at the elementary level) it works o.k. and I've seen kids make HUGE progress with her help. She has her self-contained kiddos in one room (with assistants) and higher level groups in a second room. I can tell you that it is a HUGE job, but so rewarding at the same time! No two days are the same so you definately wouldn't be bored!!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote