Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Departmentalizing 5th grade

>

halfpint722

Departmentalizing 5th grade
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all! Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday! I just found out that I will be teaching reading to both 5th grade classes this year as well as science or social studies (not sure which one yet) so no math for me (which I'm secretly very happy about!). Anyways, I'm looking for some good management strategies since my management clip chart won't work with two classes. I was planning on moving to more of a classroom economy anyway but any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!! Thanks much

halfpint722 is offline   Reply With Quote

DoorHolder

Departmentalized Tips
Old 07-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my school we are departmentalized in both 4th and 5th grades. We each teach one subject to all classes in both grades. I LOVE IT!! We use a classroom economy and we establish specific amounts of money they can earn for various jobs and specific amounts they may lose due to infractions. The money really works. In December we do a huge flea market where students bring in items to sell. They also have to advertise their merchandise. This is a huge hit! In the Spring we do another big event as well, but it changes from year to year. In addition students can spend their money on certain days for privileges. Another thing that we do is we use the student agendas a lot. We have stickers printed for different things. One is a Great News Sticker- and it is put in a student's agenda for a great test score, improved test score, improved behavior or great character. We have stickers for uniform infractions (I am in a private school), missing homework, or poor behavior. These stickers help inform parents of what is going on at school, but also increases consistency between teachers. With my students changing classrooms so much, I don't always know what happens to them throughout the day, the agenda stickers help me stay on top of things. I hope this helps. Good luck!
DoorHolder is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherbetty

Departmentalizing
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Funny how the pendulum swings. We're are going from departmentalized to self contained next year. We used a traveling clipboard system to document information. A class list was attached to check in assignments. The second page was information about makeups, missing assignments, rewards and consequences. It worked well. We also had a stamp made up for each of us that said Missing Assignment for Mrs. Blah. We used this in the student's assignment notebook.
teacherbetty is offline   Reply With Quote