Help

Fourth Grade

Behavior Consequences

>

Purica

Behavior Consequences
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year our lunch break was longer, as our afternoon break was built in. I used to take away recess as a consequence for not bringing in homework, but this year our break was built-in into our day without giving the students a recess. I am struggling with consequences for not doing homework. More than anything it was nice to give them extra time to finish, so they wouldn't get a zero, since many of my students don't get a whole lot of help at home. I don't want to give up the little bit of break I have left, but I don't know how to encourage them to complete homework. I've had groups in the past that without that consequence in place, they will not do any homework. I need creative solutions...I hope this all makes sense...It's been a LONG day...I could have used another week off. TIA!

Purica is offline   Reply With Quote

BigwigRabbit

Meaningful
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The number one thing a consequence (and a reinforcer) must have is meaning. In order to increase the amount of homework being turned in, it might help to try reinforcement. Make the rewards immediate, frequent, and effective. A problem with the consequence of loss of recess is that many times those that do not complete homework assignments also don't really care about recess anyway. Some reinforcers you might try are:

• Table points for the table that has all their homework turned in for the day (peer pressure works, sometimes). Table points must be turned into tangible reward each week.
  • Enact a classroom economy and pay students for completing homework, and charge them for not. The money must be turned into tangible reward each week.
  • Humiliate students that don't do their work. This one is fake. I just put it in to see if anyone is actually reading this. Don't take this one seriously. Seriously.
  • Have a periodic reward for those that turn in a predetermined percentage of homework. Say, have a monthly ice cream party for all students that are missing 5 (or some other arbitrary number) or fewer assignments. After the first one, if you have them often enough, and the students know their status, you should have more and more eligible participants.
  • Have a special Friday activity for all students who have turned in a satisfactory percentage of homework assignments. This could be anything from a special P.E. game to music to classroom games.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

goldwinggirl

Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Excellent suggestions!!
goldwinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Purica

Rewards
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did read your post and it caught me off guard. Thanks for the suggestions.
Purica is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherbetty

Lol
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Loved the joke.

teacherbetty is offline   Reply With Quote