Help

Daily 5

Help - i have no idea what all this means

>

jlward28

Help - i have no idea what all this means
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are starting guided reading in our school. I am graduating with my masters in Dec. for reading so i am familiar with procedure. I came on to just look around about others questions and thought and i came across Daily 5 and CAFE. i have heard of the Daily 5 recently, but have yet to incorporate it. I have never heard of CAFE. I understand that it means comp, acc. Fluency, and extended vocab, but what do you do with it? Is it a program? what does it look like? how is it implemented? how do you get the kids to do whatever this is?

i feel completely overwhelmed.

jlward28 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would advise reading the book CAFE if you are interested in it. It's goal is showing connections between the reading done and the strategies that are used to grow into better readers.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

cteacherrun

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CAFE is a strong assessment to instruction model. You do a one-on-one assessment, share the findings with the student, post their goal, and then use what you have learned about the student to inform instruction. The CAFE Menu is a visual record of: 1. student goals 2. strategies you have taught.
cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherbetty

My best advice
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi - like you I am starting Daily 5 this year and find it all brand new. I followed the launching calendar in the back of the book - adjusting for grade level and progress. I have just started Cafe full strength. My take on this all is this - my students love literacy. No groans. No fights. That's saying something. I balance Daily Five and Cafe with Imagine It. Start slowly and train, train, train the students to independently read. Don't rush this process.
teacherbetty is offline   Reply With Quote