Anyone familiar with (or want to help build on) this improvisation starter? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Anyone familiar with (or want to help build on) this improvisation starter?

>

Ideabaker

Anyone familiar with (or want to help build on) this improvisation starter?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all; when I was a high school drama student, my teacher gave us an exercise that was so fun and meaningful in terms of understanding the interpretation of language that I smile as I think of it today.

She broke us up into pairs. Each pair was given a set of sentences. They had to take turns delivering the sentences consecutively, giving them meaning through intonation, gestures, delivery, etc.

The string of sentences was the same for each pair. It was hilarious watching the many ways they could be delivered.

The one I recall went something like this:

A: How are you?
B: Ok
A: Did you get it?
B: Yes
A: I have something for you.
B: Really
A: It's right...
B: Oh, you didn't...
A: We should go
B: Definitely

It's been a couple of decades, but the variations on delivering the lines were seemingly endless. The kids create the characters, setting, and then deliver their lines.

I'm looking for a series of open ended (to interpretation) exchanges of lines between two actors that I could use with my 13 year olds. Have Googled everything I can think of to find simple starters like this and haven't found anything yet. What I like about it is the structure inherent in every group having the exact same lines, yet the open endedness of it witch each group delivering their takes on the seemingly identical lines.

Anyone have any sources for dialogues like this, or willing to create some here for use in our classes? Interested in seeing what else is out there! Thanks!

Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Improvisations
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't help you with the dialog (you might want to create your own and hone it in the classroom--or have the students work on it).

If you want to know about improvisation, though, go to the grand dame who introduced it all. I was teaching in Los Angeles decades ago and took a workshop with Viola Spolin--the most creative experience of my life.

Try her book for teachers: http://www.amazon.com/Theater-Games-...pr_product_top
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

niffuh01

I am new to the is site...
Old 05-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...as well as being a drama teacher for K-8. What ever happened in your quest to find out more? Did you? Would you share what you found? I would be so appreciative.

J
niffuh01 is offline   Reply With Quote

niffuh01

I am new to this site...
Old 05-29-2015, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

...as well as being a drama teacher for K-8. What ever happened in your quest to find out more? Did you? Would you share what you found? I would be so appreciative.

J

Last edited by niffuh01; 05-29-2015 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: I need to omit an "the is;" I meant this
niffuh01 is offline   Reply With Quote