Help

BusyBoard

Project for last 2 weeks

>

SoCalTeach

Project for last 2 weeks
Old 12-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím looking for a project my 5th grade classes can do during these last weeks before Winter Break. Any ideas?

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MuggleTeach

Writing in verse
Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Any specific content area?
In ELA, I have introduced the students to writing in verse. Each student picked a topic they are truly passionate about, and we each shared our topic. As we shared, the rest of the class gave words or phrases they associated with that topic.

Ex- Family: love, caring, trustworthy, annoying, no privacy, accepting etc...

Each student will then have a list of words associated with their topic and now they can creatively write about this topic in verse, or some other poetic way.
MuggleTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

christmas-inspired narratives?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

my class is writing based on winter or christmas. i printed the "Roll a Christmas Story" (free off TPT). i changed a couple of the boxes and told students they didn't HAVE to roll or choose what they rolled.

we've spent the last few weeks on literary devices so they will be adding many sound devices and figurative language examples to their stories.

or a series of christmas related STEM activities? (snowman poop launchers--marshmalow catapults...)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 12-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like TIA's idea about doing STEM or STEAM activities.

Another idea would be to do coding activities. Check out code.org.This past week was the Hour of Code so I'm sure you can find ideas on Twitter and on blogs or websites. There are screen-free coding activities you can do with your students so you don't even need to use devices. Once you have introduced coding, then you can even take it a step further by having your students create a coding activity to share with the other students. Have students work together to "debug an algorithm" to find out why it doesn't work and have them fix it. There are a lot of possibilities. It encourages logical thinking, sequencing and mathematical practices like persevere in problem solving, and 21st century skills like collaboration and critical thinking.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote