BusyBoard

504 accommodation/misuse of computers

>

EatPrayLove

504 accommodation/misuse of computers
Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
I have students each year who have technology as an accommodation. What to do when they use the computer as a toy, and not as a learning tool? I have discussed the parameters of how to use the computer, but some kids still find it easy to do what they will because I do not always have my eye on their screen, nor can I because I work with other students too.

Thanks so much!

EatPrayLove is offline   Reply With Quote

msd2

msd2

Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How do they use it as a toy?

There are ways to lock down computers so there isn't anything but what they need for learning, but it takes a knowledgeable person who knows how to set up computers such that certain IDs have permissions to very specific things.

Now, if the internet is required for learning then it gets a bit harder.

whatever

This is something I will watch
Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

as I have this difficulty too. Luckily for me, this student does not have it in her IEP so I can remove it as needed but still...

There is so much more I could offer her IF she would go only follow the rules. Grrr.

I know about Google Dashboard but my school does not participate in that. (Plus, it only works if the teacher is at a computer as well.)
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Can You?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you revise the 504 accommodations to say that if the computer is used as a toy, it will be removed as an accommodation for that class period/24 hours?

Further, add that during that time, the child will have to write the reason the computer was taken away and what the child will do differently next time. Then it has to be signed by the parent.

And lastly...the number of minutes missed on the computer will equal the number of minutes missed during the next free time/recess.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 12-12-2018, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Can you revise the 504 accommodations to say that if the computer is used as a toy, it will be removed as an accommodation for that class period/24 hours?"

I always change accommodations to things we would feel horrified removing when considering things like this. Would you take away a braille book for 24 hours? A walker? Eye glasses? If it would be acceptable to do, then it is an acceptable removal of an accommodation.

I'm not saying there are never times where things need to be removed, such as a student using the accommodation to hurt others like throwing it at them or swinging it around and hitting others, but this is not the case.

To me, the solution is to make the accommodation as streamlined to the need as possible so there is no toy value to using the computer.