Help

BusyBoard

Scary experience today

>

Haley23

Scary experience today
Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We're in a new building this year with lots of added security. Today I had walked out into the hallway, headed to the office for the copier, when the power very abruptly completely shut off. The hallway doors to the grade level pod behind me as well as the door to my own pod automatically swung shut and locked, as did the office door. I've only seen that happen in a lockdown drill. I was alone in the hallway and my first thought was legitimately of a school shooter. It was very scary being locked out of everything.

Luckily the power came back on probably 10 seconds later and I realized what happened. My teammate, whose room I'd just left, thought the same thing I did at first. Our other teammate said she ran out into our pod looking for me. What a sad time we live in that this is our first thought, instead of there just being a simple power outage.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had this conversation recently with someone regarding gun control. I donít think you have quite the same perspective if you are not in a school, and donít constantly live with the fear. This person didnít realize we have monthly active shooter drills. We call them lockdowns and talk about all the reasons a lockdown could be called, but really theyíre active shooter drills. Iím done pretending theyíre anything else. Letís go ahead and call a spade, a spade. We even got training in handling traumatic injuries last time ďjust in case.Ē
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That would scare the crap out of me, too, Haley!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 12-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so sorry. That is terrifying. I use a wheelchair sometimes and just the fact that I can't run terrifies me. I am a slow target.

What is a 'pod'.. what does that look like?
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

scary
Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is very scary when the emergency doors slam shut in a school. The school I retired from had very tight security. I had a totally different experience today.

Today, I volunteered in a Middle School teaching a Jr. Achievement lesson to 5 different classes. When I went into the office before school, I told them why I was there. Office staff didn't know I was coming, but didn't question me, or officially check me in. They just gave me directions to the right classroom. When I left for lunch, I stopped by the office to check out. They just waved. I went back after lunch - they waved again. Come to find out that the school had a lock down drill while I was out.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the security I experienced. Maybe I can chalk it up to the "last day before break" crazies.

Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
What is a 'pod'.. what does that look like?
That's just what they call our room set ups. The K pod has all of the K classrooms and an open "flex space" in the middle (bigger than at typical hallway). Our sped wing is set up the same way- our offices/classrooms are all around an open "flex space" in the middle. Each pod has a door that's held open by a magnet on the wall. When there's a lockdown, the doors automatically close, blocking off all rooms from the regular hallway. The only way to get into a room is if you were already in the "flex space" area (if you'd already gone through the door that's magnetized). I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I don't know really know how to explain it!

We also have to swipe our keys to get everywhere. To actually even get into the main hallway to access any of the pods, you have to go through three doors within the office that are key card access only.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

That would probably scare me too.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At the same time, I think we have gone way overboard w/ all of the drills here. Many kids have been very scared, and some gain new ideas from these drills (scary!)
I have had some kids so scared by the way some of these drills go down that it really irks me. Then I have a couple who are fascinated by it all.
I looked up on the internet to see what are your true odds of being killed (shot) by a school shooter. I did it to give some peace to kids recently.
The odds were higher ( I think) to get struck by lightening.
These drills scare younger kids really bad when they are done too extreme. ( Such as people banging loudly on doors and screaming to let them in.)
Sorry, a bit off topic!
I have actually been startled by drills that were unannounced and loud.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Funny and not...
Old 12-28-2018, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We hang out in the gym at the beginning of the day until class time. I happened to notice on my way in that someone was working on the alarm system... the fire alarm went off shortly after I got to the gym. It was both funny and not that a lot of the kids thought they should report to their classrooms to line up for evacuation! We were able to corral and keep them from leaving but we talked a lot after about the many different possibilities that we haven't thought about or planned for. We don't always teach kids to think--we teach them to do and while automatic responses save time, they don't always work.

I, too, have dealt with kids having panic attacks during drills... and have dealt with kids who are somewhat "irrationally" afraid for their lives, particularly after practice lockdowns, etc. It's my opinion that we (in general) are not doing a very good job "teaching" kids (and ourselves!) about this issue. At the risk of over-simplification, we need to shift the focus from fear to safety.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote