Help

BusyBoard

Math Block Routine

>

gunther922

Math Block Routine
Old 12-02-2018, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 5th grade math. I am wondering if it's best practice to correct math whole class? My principal is going to observe me next week and I am concerned that he may not approve of this. I also have the students in three groups rotate to me. I was thinking I should probably correct homework when they rotate to me? I would love to hear how others do math homework. I know the fourth grade teachers collect their student's homework.

Thank you for any feedback!

Last edited by gunther922; 12-02-2018 at 05:19 PM..
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

As a class
Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I normally correct it as a class, as if I collected it and graded it, I'd never get to it. However, whenever I'm observed, I don't correct the homework. I either collect and check it myself just that once or we go over it at a different time when the principal is not in the room. Or, I don't assign anything the day before, so on the day of the observation, there is nothing to correct.

To me, correcting it in class is the practical, realistic thing, but I know many administrators who disagree with this, saying it takes too long.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would correct one homework problem with the class and then move on to the lesson.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Something that I’ve done in the past is to create teams. We called them student learning teams. 4 kids to a group. Everyone gets their homework. One kid has a calculator or whiteboard. They compare answers. If there is one that differs, they work the problem out to find the mistake. If, after working it out, they can’t get the answer, they write the problem number on the board. At the end of class we’d go over those problems. It worked well and having the kids analyze the mistakes was really meaningful. It took about 10 minutes.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well, my homework was generally about 5-7 problems, so I would go over it quickly at the beginnging of math. I quickly read they the answers only, then choose one “most likely to make mistakes” problem to go over in a little more depth. Kids mark their papers, and can go back to redo incorrect answers before they turn them in on Fridays.

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote