BusyBoard

Any Texas Teachers Here?

>

Peaches250

Any Texas Teachers Here?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If this is the wrong board, I am sorry! But it is a mix of work and personal

It seems my DH is being seriously considered for a job in Texas. It would be a great promotion for him, not to mention a substantial increase in pay. He is considering it, but I am researching it! I will not go into all of my concerns right now. I will save that for another anxiety riddle post!

What can you tell me about Texas? How is the pay? How hard is it to transfer certifications? How is the system for DD? She will be going into 8th grade next year. Any particular areas to look at? To avoid? Is it a union state? Is there respect for the profession? Should I run away?

I am sure I will think of more questions!

Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Texas Schools
Old 12-04-2018, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have answers, but you may want to say what city or area of Texas you will be living in. Different parts of a state offer a variety of salaries and benefits.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

That would probably help :)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The possible areas would be Fort Worth, Dallas or Houston. Surrounding areas would also be included. I know NOTHING about Texas! I would prefer not to live right in a major city though.

mhugs

Texas
Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My older grandchildren grew up in League City. I want to say it is south of Houston before Galveston. Their school system seemed to have a lot to offer and a strong fine arts program as well as sports.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a Texas teacher. I can PM you some info. Those are big cities and you will want to teach in the suburbs.

techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
What can you tell me about Texas? How is the pay? How hard is it to transfer certifications? How is the system for DD? She will be going into 8th grade next year. Any particular areas to look at? To avoid? Is it a union state? Is there respect for the profession? Should I run away?
I absolutely fell in love with Texas when we visited the San Antonio area 23 years ago when my DH received an offer to transfer here. I was born and raised in the Northeast/New England and lived for 17 years in the California Bay Area, so moving to Texas would be my first time living in a southern state. I’ve never regretted the move and this is our forever home. I found Texans are the friendliest people I have ever met. Life is slower paced and rich in culture here in Southern Texas. As for the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, I’ve enjoyed visiting and have attended conferences there but I can’t tell you much more. Hopefully a PTer in the D/FW area will respond.

As far as transferring teacher certifications, I earned my lifetime Texas teacher certifications (EC-12 and a Single Subject credential), by taking a couple of state tests. That was a longtime ago so not sure how things have changed as far as your state’s reciprocity with Texas and what you would currently be required to do. Definitely check that out.

Texas is not a union state but there are state teacher organizations that look out for teachers like Texas Federation of Teachers and ATPE. Definitely join one. I never found the lack of an actual union a problem. I was blessed to work in one of the top districts in the state. I know teachers who work in other districts and have not heard any egregious stories from them about their campuses or districts.

https://www.texasaft.org
https://www.atpe.org/en/Home

I wouldn’t run away. I do suggest you visit Texas for a few days and see if it is to your liking. I would also suggest you look into how moving here will affect your Social Security benefits when you retire. I do receive both my state pension and Social Security because I paid into SS and had all my quarters, but my SS is reduced because of the WEP.

Good luck with your family’s decision.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

So...
Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

after his meeting today, his company is wanting him housed at the Dallas location. That narrows the area down a little more

This is such a big decision! I am trying to keep the emotional side out of it for right now and just do the research. I will deal with the emotional aspect later! You guys be prepared for a long post on that one!

mooba1

I agree with Techgrad
Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You'll want to avoid the urban districts and go for the suburbs...but not all the suburbs are desireable.

Houston...gah! Unless you love extreme humidity and torrential rains which have brought recent flooding, sometimes w/ alligators on your porch (true!) run. Sorry, I’m sure H-town has some great features, but I’ve never been a fan.

Lots of people moving into the DFW area, so lots of growth and opportunity here. You’re welcome to PM me with questions you have.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 12-04-2018, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am in the Dallas area. I can definitely help you look for better areas to live and teach.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Itís been years, but...
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I went to college in Texas. I lived in San Marcos, which is near Austin & San Antonio. Iím from the northeast and coast - so the biggest things I missed were actual seasons and the ocean. That being said, I absolutely loved Texas! I canít speak to teaching there or even what itís like now but I have nothing but great memories. I def agree with PPs to research it and maybe visit if you can. Best wishes

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

chelseeuh

I Live in League City!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

mhugs, I live in League City! Districts differ in their expectations and what they offer. As a parent I am very happy with the district my students go to school in and where I work. I just thought it was neat that my "small town" was mentioned on Proteacher!
chelseeuh is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 12-04-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I visit family in Texas on a pretty regular basis. I agree that Texans are some of the friendliest people in our country.

Be prepared to drive fast! The speed limit there seems to be merely a suggestion. I-35E south of Dallas is like a parking lot that moves at 85 mph.

I wish I had moved to Texas years ago. Unfortunately my opportunity to do so is long passed.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 12-05-2018, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you choose to come, then welcome to Texas! There is no place I would rather live and have family all over the state.

So what are your biggest concerns? You can pm me.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 12-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am in a suburb of Dallas. You don't want to be in DISD it's a hot mess. I've only lived in Texas and I love it. 99% of the time I'm out people are friendly. I was an idiot and ran out of gas the other day and before my son got there to help me (probably 20 min) 11 different people stopped and asked if I needed help. We do have STAAR testing which is a major pain but most states have something I think. My pay is pretty good compared to a lot of places.
Claire is online now   Reply With Quote