Help

BusyBoard

Moving to a bungalow

>

SoCalTeach

Moving to a bungalow
Old 12-11-2018, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are having major construction at my campus. The 4th and 5th grade teachers are moving into bungalows. The district was slow to come up with the occupancy permit, and we won’t be able to get in until the weekend after Winter Break starts. We are “expected” to move during Winter Break. Coworker says she will not do it, since it’s not a part of our contract. I don’t want to hustle when we come back from break, but I also don’t want to spend my 3 weeks moving boxes at work. Thoughts?

SoCalTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't do it either. I go away over break, so I don't do much in the way of work.

I would try to get things boxed up before break (kids can help, right?) and then after kids would have to help me move.

Is the district helping with the move?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn’t do it either. Total lack of respect by the district for the 4th/5th grade teachers. The district messed up and unless the people who did so volunteer themselves to help you move over vacation, I wouldn’t use any of my vacation time to do it either.

I agree with kahluablast‘s suggestion that you box everything up before you leave for break and have the kids help move boxes first day back.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure what bungalows are in the school sense? Portable classrooms?

I’d do what someone else suggested. I’d have the kids help you box stuff before break and then have them help after break. I wouldn’t spend my break doing it.
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Moving to bungalow
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn’t do it either. Our district would give us one day for moving. So, if they paid you for a day over the break, then I’d do it.

Otherwise id use kid power to pack up and unpack.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No way I would do that during vacation days UNLESS I got an extra stipend. Even then, it would have to be a GENEROUS stipend.

I am so sorry you're in this situation. What about teachers who are traveling during break?
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would contact the union for guidance on how to proceed. There is no way I would donate my time over winter break to move.

You get a three week break?

Is a bungalow a portable classroom (trailer)?
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Clarification
Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I said “bungalow”, I meant it as a portable trailer.

No stipend. I think speaking to our union rep is a good idea.

We don’t even have keys to the trailers yet and would need car access since they are in the very back of the school.

District workers are hauling our furniture, but we have to deal with everything else.

choppie70

Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is happening in our district this year. We closed a school and the school they are now going to needed to have portables installed. They are just now ready for the staff to move in.

Our contract says we get a $900 stipend if we have to move classrooms once the school year has started.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Floor
Old 12-11-2018, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My 64 year old asbestos tile floor is slated to be removed during the Christmas break. I am now trying to find out who is responsible for removal of my very extensive collection of books and book cases, desks, etc. No one has an answer for me. I went through this before when carpet had to be ripped up out of my room and a new tile floor laid, due to me always being sick from mold. My former room had been the library/classroom and I do not even want to know what that carpet was brewing. My doctor ordered that carpet removal as I was one sick person constantly. I was told Facility Services would do all the removal. Day before, um no, we can't do it, your responsibility. Punishment I guess for the doctor order. Didn't like the extra work or expense I guess, but I was out with chest infections more than I was in. Once the carpet was removed and new tile put in, my health greatly improved. I sure hope they don't do this to me again because it will be a union complaint. That is not who I am, but I have had enough. My students and I lost two days moving desks, chairs, books, book cases and everything else. They are only grade 3/4. Not the kids job nor mine.

Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Wow! Just WOW!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

When we moved buildings, we were given boxes to pack. They were ALL the same size. The district custodians and maintenance people then hauled them to either storage for the summer (they were also remodeling buildings) or to our new classrooms. We then unpacked everything and they took away the boxes. This was basically a move for the entire district except for part of the early elementary school. A new high school opened, and we went from four to five buildings. It went fairly smoothly because of good planning. I'd be so upset if I had to move my entire room.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-11-2018, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Our contract says we get a $900 stipend if we have to move classrooms once the school year has started.
For $900, I'd do it.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

WE get a stipend for moves, unless we volunteer or request the move. We get 500-not as much as the above poster but enough to cover my time.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

NO stipend
Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

So it appears that we are supposed to move during the last week of Winter Break. That will be the only time we can access our new rooms. I will be doing the bare minimum. It’s not fair.

Zia

Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I wouldn't go in at all. I'm sure I'd be "out of town" on a "vacation."

sonoma

Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had to move into a portable when my classroom was remodeled.

We had to pack and unpack but could not physically move anything.

Facilities sent me 6 boxes. Really?

It took 115 boxes
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

That happened in October at my school. Two kindergarten teachers, 2 preschool teachers, 2 special ed teachers, the Title 1 teacher and the music teacher had to move to different classrooms. The district got a grant to start several full-day preschool programs. Those teachers had to move so the district could do construction on bathrooms. Due to conditions of the grant, the preschool classes have to start on Jan 2nd so the construction had to be done now. (They are still working on those rooms.)

The teachers found out on a Tuesday morning and had to move on that Friday. (The district had an In-Service Day that Friday and the teachers/staff in our building didn't have to go to it. We were allowed to stay at our building to help with the move.)

On T-W-Th anyone, who had free moment and wanted to help, went into those classrooms and started taking down bulletin boards and packing. Yep-while students were in the room and the teacher was teaching. Colleagues stayed after school to help pack up things from shelves in the shared closets. Several of the teachers had to move out of their rooms first because other teachers were being moved into their rooms. If it was possible, we started putting up the bulletin boards in the new rooms and moving any packed boxes we could into the new rooms.

On moving day, custodial staff from all the schools swarmed our building to move the heavy furniture into the new classrooms. They even sent some paraprofessionals from other buildings to help. The two K teachers were moved into much smaller classrooms that didn't have the shared closet. So some teachers worked on clearing out space in another storage area so they would have room to store things. People helped to unpack all the boxes, finished putting up bulletin boards and set up the new classrooms.

We were not happy about how it all went down. It was extremely stressful for the teachers who had to move, but our school came together as a team and supported those teachers. Several administrators joined us when they had free time between PD. It was amazing! When the students came to school on Monday, their classrooms were set up and ready for them. It was a smooth transition for them.

Unfortunately, there was no stipend for those teachers. No one wanted to move-especially in the middle of the year and on such short notice. I love how our colleagues supported those teachers so the transition would be easier on the students and those teachers.

The teachers had asked the union for help, but there was nothing they could do. No stipend for the move. The district had a plan for the move. They planned for custodial staff to move the furniture and boxes on Friday. They allowed the teachers/staff to stay in our building to help and had paraprofessionals come from other schools to help instead of doing PD that Friday. The district also offered that those teachers "could come in" to set up their classrooms on the weekend-just let the principal know so arrangements could be made.

We all know that if people hadn't given up their time to help on T-Th to pack and take down bulletin boards and do as much as they could ahead of time and the teachers, who had to move, hadn't started to pack and get things ready (think about where to put bulletin boards, plan furniture arrangement...) working outside the contract hours, it would have been a hot mess that Friday and the classrooms wouldn't have been ready on Monday.

It was a no-win situation. The teachers, who had to move, could have worked only during contract hours and followed the district plan, but they would have only been hurting themselves. They would have been the ones coming into a mess on Monday. They would have had to deal with digging through boxes trying to find materials for lessons, trying to navigate around boxes and oddly placed furniture, along with dealing with students who are already out of their normal routine because of being in a different room. The students are preschool and kindergarten students so it was upsetting-not only a new classroom, but the classroom was in a different hallway.

I hope that your union and district can work something out so you don't have to come in during break to do the move. If not, I hope that you are fortunate to have colleagues who rally around you and help you. Only you can decide what is the best option for you (move during break or after the break) because you are the one who has to deal with it.
iteachk2010 is online now   Reply With Quote

bookbadger

Someone else
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I didn't read through all the responses so if this is a duplicate I apologize. I definitely don't think you should move the boxes yourself over break.

I would make sure to have everything boxed up and labeled extremely well so there is no question as to ownership and contents. Hopefully that will make the unpacking go smoothly.

I guess my main point is...you shouldn't have to do it but if someone else does it for you it won't be done right.
bookbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

stick together!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I think it needs to be one for all and all for one. I wouldn't want to be the only one going in, on my own time, over a school break. It could reflect poorly on your colleagues who are doing the right thing and not being taken advantage of.

Box and label well, and have fun having your students unpack and build the room with you. It will give them real ownership of the space.

Good luck! Stay strong!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 12-17-2018, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I wouldn't go in over winter break to pack up. I'd probably stay late a few days and get things packed up.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-17-2018, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

iteachk, I think your story is wonderful! But it sounds like the move happened during contract hours (being excused from PD, etc.) That's different to me than expecting teachers to do it during vacation days. And I doubt there would be that many who would come in to help during break, as opposed to ditching PD. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't see many unaffected staff coming in during vacation to do it.