Help

BusyBoard

How do you use "task cards"?

>

PindleLou888

How do you use "task cards"?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I always see "task cards" on tpt. How do you use them?

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Task Cards
Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Task cards make a good review of a topic. At least that is how I used them.

I numbered the task cards.

I placed a task card on each desk.

I had students pre number papers.

I used a pattern for students to physically move around the room so they would answer each question.

Obviously the questions could not all be answered in order from 1- ? except by one person.

So each student started with the number on the desk where they started.

I gave them 30 to 45 seconds per question to mark their answer on their pre numbered paper.

Then I rang a bell for everyone to move to the next question in the pattern I had explained. I helped as need to make sure everyone moved around correctly and was marking their paper by their correct number. They like moving around the room rather than sitting still.

The first time you try this they need a little help. Also more time is required. But then if you use the same pattern of moving from desk to desk they will get better at moving quickly.

I always had my student who would get the most easily confused start with number 1.

Then when everyone is done we checked the answers together as I put each question on the document camera.

You can also have them answer the questions as one station activity.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 12-18-2018, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use quicker ones as a scoot activity where they get 30 seconds to a minute to do whatever’s on the card then they move to the next desk. Then we go over in detail everything when it’s done under the document camera. This takes up a lot of time and is useful.

If the problems are harder, I put 4-5 cards at a table of 4-5 people and give them 10ish minutes to work together on them.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

task cards
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Exit ticket
Minute filler (while waiting in line for Fine Arts, Lunch, etc.
Quick review on projector (students write answer on white boards)
Lesson closer on projector (students write answer on white boards)
Station activity (make up a simple recording sheet)
Small group activity
Scoot
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I haven't used them this way (but I might now) but you could enter them in Kahoot and do a small group or large group Kahoot activity.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All of the ideas already posted are great. You could also number the cards, tape them around the room, and have students look for them. They record their answers on a paper that is numbered. I always do roam the room activities with my classes and they love it.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Showdown
Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Google "show what you know Laura Candler" for the directions for Showdown. It's a great way to practice skills as a small group activity.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

milaura85

Ideas
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do the traditional ways (Scoot, tape around room), but I also try to give them more motivation by doing an activity I call "Cups".

I put the cards around the room and a cup next to each card. Students use scrap paper to write their answer to a card. They rip off their answer, put their name on it, crumple it into a little ball and put it in the cup. Then at the end, I choose 3-5 cups and pull out an answer from the cup. If that person answered the card correctly, they get a reward (Dojo point in my room).

I also do another similar activity but more on the honor system. I put the answers to the card on the backs of the cards. If they answer the card correctly (self checking) they write their name on the back of the card. Then at the end I choose one random card to be the winner and all students whose names are on that card get a Dojo point. I also monitor their recording sheets to make sure they are doing the work and not just writing their names on the cards.
milaura85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

task cards
Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I like to number the cards and then have a corresponding recordkeeping sheet for each student. I set them in a pile on the floor and let students get up and grab one after finishing a previous one. When they finish a card correctly, I give them a sparkly sticker or some other enticing sticker, such as Avengers, Minions, etc, to stick on that number on the recordkeeping sheet. Over the course of a few days, as students finish the task cards, I allow those that are done to use the iPads and/or Chromebooks to play literacy games independently and to take home their stickered-up recordkeeping sheet as a "souvenir". Students are doubly motivated to fill up their sticker sheet and earn the independent technology time. For strugglers or time wasters, I sometimes partner two students together and let them work through cards as a twosome, but let them earn the stickers on their separate sticker sheets. I sometimes even use the task cards for assessment purposes, recording the number correct on each card in a student's anecdotal notes, and create these into percentages later to input as a grade.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote