Help

BusyBoard

School Lunch Program

>

Sprite

School Lunch Program
Old 12-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does you school offer a hot lunch option for students? Is it catered in or made by a cafeteria company?

I was talking to a teacher friend of mine and she told me that at her school they get hot lunch once per week and students have to pre-order it. They work with local restaurants to bring in a hot lunch for students. For example, they get the local bagel shop to do a meat and cheese sandwich on a bagel. Another example she gave me was that they have a local pizza/Italian restaurant do either a pasta bowl or slice of pizza.

I thought this was awesome! I wish we did something like this at my school.

We do have hot lunch but we don't do anything catered.

How about you?

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are two hot lunch choices as well a ham and cheese sandwich offered everyday, but no catering. We are 100% free lunch, so no preorders. If the kids want it, it’s there for the taking.

Honestly, though we need an overhaul. An inordinate amount of food is thrown away daily, and most of the stuff served is not exactly healthy.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

yeah our hot lunch isnt like that.

We have 2 lunch choices that are premade cafeteria stuff. Our lunch ladies just heat things up en mass.

we are only about 1/4 free lunch but no way could we give free lunchers catered food from restaurants.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When our kids were in elementary school, they occasionally had the sort of pre-order fast food lunch you are talking about. It was very time consuming for teachers and PTA to handle, although the kids looked forward to it. All other days, the kids had to bring their own lunch to school.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 12-19-2018, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have the federal hot lunch program. Two hot choices, fruit, milk, vegetable, or a sandwich/salad option.

I always wonder what happens to all of the food not chosen. We have a lot of hungry people in our county that would benefit from the food not given to students.

Also, the program requires students take certain foods even if they won't eat it. It then becomes trash. It is required to keep corrupt kitchens from not offering a well balanced meal or parents from suing schools that don't provided it - I guess. Same with so many regulations.

Ima Teacher

Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have two hot lunch choices and salad bar every day. It's all made by the cafeteria staff. We are 100% free lunch.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Hot lunch, 1 choice
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Federal lunch, all free lunch. Some schools have 2 choices, ours just has one. The lunches are all made centrally, then delivered frozen and just have to be heated. They're all pretty gross.

My son goes to a charter school (6-12), and they have a company that caters lunch. They provide hot lunch every day, but you have to pre-order. There are also snacks and limted options available for purchase.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 12-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have hot lunch from the lunch ladies that heat things up. You get a choice of hot lunch, yogurt or 6 different sandwiches. Once a month they order pizza from a local pizza place.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Hot lunch
Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have two hot choices, two sandwich choices and a salad bar for lunch options.

We also have breakfast.

Everything is free.

Other schools in our district offer paid ala cart options. We do not.

In my area most schools that are a least 60 percent free and reduced lunch can apply for a grant where 100 percent of lunches and breakfasts are covered.

I like this as it eliminated the cheese sandwich given to kids whose families for whatever reason are unable to keep up with the lunch account.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have hot lunch daily. One choice (with a vegetarian option if needed), all made fresh on site every day. We have a chef on staff who is in charge of it all. Our food is AMAZING! Most teachers eat lunch daily. Even things like salsa and pickles are made on site!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My School...
Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have hot lunch everyday. It's prepared on site, but it's pretty much frozen things that that just get heated up. There is a fruit/salad/veggie bar though, too, though, that's fresh.

Last year they experimented with ordering Domino's pizza on pizza days. You had to pre-order to take hot lunch that day. The kids loved it, but they haven't done it this year. I'm not sure why.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 12-20-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We don’t have a “cooking kitchen” which means all our lunches are brought in from another school. We have to preorder them ( which truthfully puts a lot of stress of the teachers and secretary)

the lunches are cold. Two choices and it includes all the food groups. So for example today my kids had deli turkey, cheese stick, crackers, some sort of gross looking fruit cup, potato salad and a milk. The other option usually includes a sandwich instead of the crackers meat and cheese. On Fridays we have pizza brought in from a local place.

My old school ( private) did the lunches from local places. That was a nightmare. It also was terrible bc we didn’t have any food on site to offer kids if they forgot their lunch.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 12-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
My old school ( private) did the lunches from local places. That was a nightmare. It also was terrible bc we didn’t have any food on site to offer kids if they forgot their lunch.
This is what I think my friend was talking about. It was only once per week though.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Wow! I am amazed by the options!
Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Our district buys absolutely disgusting foods that just need to be heated usually.
I am not a picky eater, but seriously, I think prisoners get better food here.
We have these round type of white bread sandwiches that are called Uncrustables or something like that.
They are crammed w/ PB and gross looking purple jelly 1 day a week. ( Maybe every other week.)
For breakfast, they serve Poptarts with other sugary cereals.
I dread days when I forget my lunch. Usually friends share if someone forgets though because the food is so bad. I have tried some of the food in the past when desperate. I would rather skip lunch than eat school lunch.
I spent many years in a school before this 1. They had a salad bar and home made- types of food that were often better than anything I could make. I got spoiled, but it is seriously bad here. I have no clue how they could be in compliance w/ any federal laws.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 12-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Growing up, our 'hot lunch' option was a TV dinner, complete in Metal TV dinner tray. We ordered in the morning In high school, we had a buffet style lunch line with a few different options, and we paid per item (more like a cafeteria). I had a cup of mashed potatoes for lunch more than once (actually, usually more like 3 cups )

When I was teaching, it was a set lunch (different each day) and it was cooked at the local high school just up the street and brought down to our school (we didn't have our own kitchen).

Where my kids now attend, they have one quick line for pizza slices and some snacks daily, and a longer line for a hot lunch more like the kind I knew when I was teaching.

no catering.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

Canteen only 4 days per week would be a start
Old 01-11-2019, 02:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

That sounds gross Summerwillcom!! You should post the menu publicly!

Families should be expected to make and bring lunch from home mostly. All canteens should have a limit- 4 days per week and serving ONCE per day- ie. open at first break only.

Can't you seriously though, do something about it?? I'd be talking to and reporting the pathetic canteen coordinator/organizer etc to your district supervisor.

Surely the school's parent body doesn't want a bunch of kids at their own school to grow unhealthily and obese?? What do they say?

In our district we never outsource lunch. Everything is made fresh, hot meals are only offered in Winter and we have no pasta or pizza- ewww- they are full of carbs and unhealthy!

Push for healthy fresh foods and salads in their purest form- all year round!

Last edited by Smurfyteach; 01-11-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote