Help

BusyBoard

Wonders reading series?

>

Mrs.Claus

Wonders reading series?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does any one use the Wonders reading series? If so, how do you like it? We are considering purchasing it. TIA

Mrs.Claus is offline   Reply With Quote

lil_bit

Use it
Old 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use it. It has a lot. With everything that they include, you could be teaching for over 2 hours. We've had to weed out a lot of the activities to keep time. The assessments are also hard. I teach second grade and the students are required to read one passage, answer 5 questions, read another passage and answer 5 more questions. Then they have a writing they complete that has them respond to the two texts. It is higher order thinking and it is hard for the students.

The questions are not all multiple choice. They have matching, underline the word/sentence in the paragraph, choose 2 answers, and short responses. It has taken a lot of modeling, examples, and going back over the questions to help the students earn passing grades.

If you purchase it, you need to make sure that your parents understand that this is a harder test and they may not be making A's and B's to begin with. I have seen that my students to reference the texts more and use text evidence to help them answer questions.

I think it is a very scripted series. You need to do x, y, and z in order for the students to be successful on the test. My team and I have talked about how it does take away from the freedoms we used to have with other reading programs.
lil_bit is offline   Reply With Quote

orca

Old 03-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The assessments are awful. Our district is rewriting them. The answer keys are even wrong. The material itself is great, but you could never do everything that is expected. We are doing 120 minute blocks and cannot get to all of it. The writing piece is worthless.
orca is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 03-05-2016, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 6th and find Wonders to be too heavy on the non-fiction component. I teach non-fiction reading skills through my social studies curriculum and our science teacher does the same so the non-fiction in Wonders is really redundant. We don't use the writing components.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote