Help

The VENT

Girl Scout Cookies

>

Zia

Girl Scout Cookies
Old 03-10-2016, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when students and former students ask you to buy GS cookies? Or worse, when co-workers ask you to buy them for their kids? Or Boy Scout popcorn or band fundraisers, etc?

Being in elementary, I get hit up all the time.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MrDes

Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't buy and I don't worry with exception of " the rule." I used to have to sell that super expensive popcorn for Boy Scouts. The rule is, if someone buys my kid's junk, I am obligated to buy their kid's junk. So, if they bought from me, I am obligated to return the favor.

Otherwise, I don't worry about it unless they have cookies on hand and I'm frustrated and tired. Then I'm weak and easy prey.
MrDes is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's usually posed as a question, "do you want to buy some xyz?", and I usually just say something like, "oh, those look so yummy, but no thanks!" with a smile.

I've had kids ask but never had a coworker ask me, but I'd say the same to them, unless I actually wanted to buy some (sometimes I do).
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-10-2016, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh gosh, teachers will send an email to the whole staff, announcing their kiddo is selling X for Y activity and the order form is in the lounge.

For some reason, that really bugs me. The kids aren't even selling the chemicals themselves!

I just worry I come off like a cheapskate.

catandturtle

Old 03-10-2016, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have one or maybe two coworkers whose kids ask me to buy stuff. I say yes because it's really not that many and I like to buy.

My own students don't ask me. I don't know of any who are part of any organizations.

catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I want it, I buy it. If I don't, I don't.

I did have a "rule" at my old school that, if I was going to buy, I would only buy from the first student who asked me since so many of them fund-raised for the same event/organization, selling the same thing.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 03-11-2016, 12:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Lol, I've had kids give them to me for free
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-11-2016, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I buy from the first child who asks, but only if I want what they are selling.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As for Girl Scout Cookies, when I DD was younger and in GS I would say I buy them from her, now I say I buy them from my neice or just "no thank you". As for the other stuff, I just say "no thank you" unless I really want it (I never do!). If a former student from middle school makes the effort to come back to visit to ask, then I do, though that has only happened a couple of times, and it has always been a coworker's kid, so I don't mind.
In high school DD was in Interact (junior division of Rotary) and they sold really nice mums in the fall and hanging flower baskets in the spring that cost less than local stores and helped raise money to build houses in El Salvador (they traveled their each spring). I would always bring them into school for coworkers to buy (they went FAST!), so now when other staff members' kids bring them in, I am happy to buy some....it's a good cause and they are great plants!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-11-2016, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I delete the mass emails. I feel no obligation to buy from anyone, especially since I'm sugar free and don't eat it. Some teachers will put the order form in the lounge. I just ignore it (plus, I never go in the lounge).

This came up at my WW meeting: how to say no to kids selling outside stores. I commented that it must be a teacher thing, but I have no problem saying no to kids.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

My rule...
Old 03-11-2016, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Before I retired my rule was I only bought from children in my class that year.

BTW, if you need a Thin Mints fix later in the year, melt some Andes Mints and dip graham crackers in the chocolate. Or make some now and use your dedicated GS funds on other flavors!
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 03-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If it is something I want, I buy from the first student that asks me. I do not respond to mass e-mails or FB posts. My boys had lots of fundraisers for various organizations throughout their school years, so I try to pay it forward and buy from kids who take the time and initiative to ask. If their parent asks me, I always tell them I will be glad to buy and to have their child come to see me. If the child comes, I make the purchase.
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

NerdGirl

Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I always reply, "Sorry, I don't buy things from students." The kids know by this time of year and usually don't even bother asking. Not one time have I missed out on something because of this policy.

I ignore the mass emails. I will admit, however, that I kind of broke my rule when a friend's daughter from the lower school was selling chocolate. I desperately needed some, and it was a dollar! If everyone sold candy for a dollar, I wouldn't need my policy, but some of our school organizations sell from catalogues that ask you to spend $20+!
NerdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Now a days I will buy whoever asks, before when my nieces/nephew sold I would just say I buy from my family.

Girl Scout cookies are always bought from whoever sold them.

I remember back in the day selling and always try to honor those that ask because I know schools/PTOs need the money.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My MO was to buy from the first kid that offered to sell a box and after that would say "I already bought cookies. I buy from the first one to find me." It seemed to be OK with the kids. If I didn't do that I'd be buying hundreds of boxes. I couldn't afford that.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Agree with Gromit
Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If I actually want what is being sold, I will buy it. However, I have absolutely no problem saying, "No, thanks!"

For example, we have several Girl Scout mom's and kids at school. I was a Girl Scout and I don't really like the cookies and think they are too expensive. Really, no one in my family is crazy about them. We might have burned out from previous years. This one teacher continues to hit me up on FB, email, texting, in my mail, and in person. I finally just said, "Sorry, but I don't like the cookies. Plus, they are too expensive." Did that stop her? NO!

In the past, I've bought magazines and some junk from those wrapping paper type catalogs. Mostly, I've done it spur of the moment. There is one kid who was always ask me and he broke me down. I looked through the catalog this year and just didn't see anything I wanted.

The funny thing is that students aren't supposed to even be selling outside organization stuff in school, but this is not really enforced. The charity collections got completely out of control last year, so they finally banned that. I hope selling things will be next.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I don't buy things from students.

I do not get upset with colleagues who sell things on behalf of their own children. A coworker's son was raising money for his Catholic school field trip and I purchased something because I liked the item and appreciated the purpose of the fund raiser. I very rarely buy fundraiser items so I don't have a problem saying no.
WestCoastTch is online now   Reply With Quote

lil_bit

Other side
Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My dd was selling GS cookies for the first time this year. She asked the teachers at her school, and I put the form out at my school. I never sent out an email. The teachers that knew me asked about it, and I told them when they would be in, but not to feel obligated.

I told my dd that when she asked at her school to ask nicely, and that if they say no to thank them. Of course my dd is a wonderful sales associate and managed to get people that I wouldn't have expected to to buy.

Honestly, they learned in the troop how to ask, to only ask once, and to say thank you no matter what. I felt that this really taught her the value of people's time and how even listening was wonderful practice for her.

I wouldn't worry too much about saying no. One idea if you want to support the student, but don't want the product, ask if you can make a donation. Then donate a dollar or what you want. Her troop did this and people loved it! They had the option to be generous without it being overly expensive.
lil_bit is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-11-2016, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I should clarify, I don't have a problem saying no to the kids. It's the moms' (whether co-workers or parents) reactions I worry about!

AD

Old 03-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I buy if I want and if I don't want to I just say either no thanks or I already bought from someone else.

With all the fundraisers and home party events these days I've learned that it's okay to say no and not feel bad.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote