Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Shampoo/Conditioner and Graying Hair

>

SassyTeach

Shampoo/Conditioner and Graying Hair
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM

I'm 48, and as my hair is graying, the texture is changing and is totally different than it used to be. It feels so much drier and isn't as soft.

For those of you that are dealing with the same thing, have you found a shampoo/conditioner that works for you? If so, will you share with me what it is? (I'm looking for ones that are more natural and organic, if possible.)

Thanks so much!!

SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-06-2019, 05:20 PM

I use Aveda Smooth Infusion products.

https://m.aveda.com/product/7485/731...shade/gift_set
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Shampoo for graying hair
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM

Aveda blue Malva. Anyone see the story on the news about hair dye increasing the chance of getting breast cancer??

Last edited by juliet4; 12-07-2019 at 06:49 AM..
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

Old 12-07-2019, 04:01 AM

I use Loreal, but I do it a little differently. I use the conditioner first and before rinsing it out, I apply the shampoo. Then rinse it all out together. It helps to keep the color a little longer, as well as keeping it from drying out. My hair stylist noticed the difference.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 AM

I use Suave Professionals Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner.

I also use Elvive oil leave - in cream. That is what seems really help the dryness and makes my hair so soft! DH even commented on it last night!

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 12-07-2019, 06:26 AM

I don't really use shampoo/conditioner to solve this problem. I use argan oil products. Garnier makes a leave-in sleek and shine anti-frizz serum with argan oil. It feels really oily when you first put it on but it soaks right in in a matter of moments and does, indeed, make my hair shinier and more manageable. I also use an argan oil hair mask every 3-4 weeks or so. I'm not brand loyal about it - they all seem to work pretty well.

I use different shampoos and conditioners depending on the time of year and what I'm going to be doing. In winter, I usually use Pantene moisture renewal.

My hair is almost completely white, now, and I wear it long. It definitely needs more in the way of moisturizing than it did when I was younger.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-07-2019, 11:27 AM

No color for me. My mom developed alopecia and was recommended to stop hair dye. Most of her hair came back when she stopped. Even though I know there probably wasn't any direct link, I am afraid to use dye.

Lately, I have been doing this too:
Quote:
. I use the conditioner first and before rinsing it out, I apply the shampoo. Then rinse it all out together.
Once every couple of weeks I use a clarifying shampoo and no conditioner.

I can't seem to find what works year round. This summer I used Shea Moisture co-wash. Loved it then. Not so much now. No idea why it worked so much better then.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

You guys are awesome!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Thank you so much for your help!!

I tried the conditioner then shampoo trick this morning, and I'm not sure it worked. My hair was super staticky, way more than normal (I live in Maine, so that makes sense for this time of year.). I'll try it a few more times, though, because maybe it was just the product I used or the shampoo/conditioner combo I happened to have on hand.

I went to Target and got the Loreal product Choppie70 suggested. My hair was so crazy, I put some in my hair before I even paid for it. It smells amazing, and it really does feel softer!

I then went to the Aveda salon near me, and told them about the two products Renea and juliet4 suggested. The two hairdressers felt my hair and asked me some specific questions about it. (It's not colored, not brassy, going gray naturally, etc.) Because my hair is naturally wavy and dry, they both suggested the Sap Moss shampoo and conditioner, so those are the ones I bought. The ladies did tell me that I could return them if they didn't work, so if they don't, I'll try one of the other ones.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out!
SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote