Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Covid~Pseudo Symptoms (?)

>

eliza4one

Covid~Pseudo Symptoms (?)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 PM

My sister was exposed to Covid and was fine for 3 days. On the 4th day, she came down with fever, headache, diarrhea, and a few other things. Knocked her out for 3 days. She is a little better today. Her test results came back today and they were negative. She isn't sure whether to believe them because the test results of her boyfriend were at first, negative, then they called back a couple days later and said he was positive.

When they called my sister today, they said she was negative. She asked about her symptoms and why she might have gotten so sick/what it might be. They actually told her it may have been "pseudo symptoms".

Weird, imo. I don't get that. Anyone ever heard of that before and want to explain it? (I guess I could google it, but want to hear from others).

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

There are
Old 10-16-2020, 04:43 PM

false negative and false positive tests. Her symptoms sound a lot like someone I know who did have Covid. I hope everything is fine, and I hope she will wear a mask when she is out and about.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Oh, she's not going anywhere!! #1, she's still sick. #2, she's treating this as if she has it! Quarantining herself!!! She doesn't trust the results she was given.

Masks are required where she lives and she did wear a mask when out and about. Just not when she was with her boyfriend...
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 10-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Alyssa Milano was on a talk show the other day telling about her experience. She got really sick with typical covid symptoms in the spring, but tested negative several times. Four months later, antibody tests indicated she had definitely had covid.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-16-2020, 06:15 PM

I wonder if they mean like psychosomatic symptoms? Like she's so convinced she had it, she brought symptoms on herself? Pretty common in people who have anxiety, although I'm sure it could happen to anyone.

You can get a false negative too, though, or maybe she got tested a little too soon and it wasn't detected yet. If I were her I might go get tested again, or if it's been too long/she's no longer experiencing symptoms, wait a bit longer and go get the antibody test. I did the antibody test this summer just to see; it was free through my insurance. I'd want to know if I had it for sure!

It's also just possible she had some other virus. We had a few "presumptive positive" cases at my school that resulted in quarantines because the families refused to actually get tested. A couple of them finally did get tested a few days into the quarantine, and it turned out negative. So there are definitely still other things going around like normal. We also have many, many kids out every day with common symptoms.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 PM

Has she had a second test? She was exposed and those are indeed symptoms. While she is still experiencing symptoms I would encourage her to be tested one more time.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote