Help

The VENT

Please stop creating your own PPE!!!!!

>

LoveMyNature

Please stop creating your own PPE!!!!!
Old 08-05-2020, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím so tired of looking at posts of people doing extra for this (pvc pipes with clear sheets for separating desks, buying little stand alone desks, etc)

No. Your district asks you to risk your life or health to come back face to face: they should be providing you protective equipment.

Stand up! Enough with us doing extra and making or buying things! Sorry but I will not put myself at risk of being sued because my PPE didnít work(according to a crazy parent).

It is the admins responsibility to provide things for us.

No more. They ask so much of us already and Iím tired of it.

Donít do it!

Doctors and Nurses donít make or buy their own equipment, why should we?! We are in a pandemic. It is not our responsibility.

LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

laydj2020

Old 08-05-2020, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It also allows leadership to be blind to our needs in the classroom. Every time a teacher spends money on the basics, it means leadership doesn't have to.
laydj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

rogersmom

I agree
Old 08-06-2020, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

While the district might have a 'plan' about PPE, I don't trust mine to actually follow through. They are putting the PPE expenses on the school building to order, but my principal is so cheap (she is new, is terrible at her job, and thinks saving money is going to make her look like a rock star to central office) I think she will purchase the absolute minimum or 'forget' to order some things. I am sure she is counting on people purchasing their own supplies.
rogersmom is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 08-06-2020, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I totally agree with you, LoveMyNature. Administration must supply the necessary items if they expect employees and students to return to face to face instruction. Teachers need to stop jury rigging devices. It will open them up to lawsuits.
chalkdusty is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-06-2020, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Someone else posted about this too. Not only does it take the pressure off admin, but I truly think itís dangerous. If someone gets sick a parent could cone in and say itís the teacherís fault because what they did doesnít meet the standards.

However, if they donít go above and beyond, then itís on the district.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

I won't
Old 08-06-2020, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I totally agree. I will *not* be making or buying anything that the district should be providing!
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Ppe
Old 08-06-2020, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree totally but realize not all schools operate the same. Some educators don't want to put their health in the hands of a Board that's operating with their head in the sand. Some teachers may look at it as a part of their personal "donating budget". I don't buy much for my classroom--never have. We do get plenty and I've never jumped on the pintrest bandwagon.

Not sure of our district's plans yet but due to the expected expense of PPE for staff and students, it'll probably be virtual. We are a strong union though too.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

The flip side
Old 08-06-2020, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I understand where you are coming from, but I also feel like each teacher has to do what he or she feels is necessary to be comfortable and safe.

If the district isn't providing PPE, the teacher basically has 3 choices: quit, do the job without it, or make their own. For some, making their own is the best scenario. They may not be able to afford to quit or may not want to. Going in without any PPE might be too anxiety-ridden for them and may increase the risk of them contracting the virus and possibly giving it to someone who is high risk. That leaves making their own.

I say, if it makes the teacher feel safer and comfortable and the district allows it, go for it.

Last edited by Teacherbee_4; 08-06-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Some educators don't want to put their health in the hands of a Board that's operating with their head in the sand.
I am not purchasing any extra PPE for my room or students, however I did purchase my own face shields, masks, and gloves for my own use. If your district refuses to supply them, what are your options? 1) Refuse to buy your own safety equipment and get Covid, or 2) take personal responsibility and care for yourself since the school board and government obviously will not accept that they have a legal responsibility to provide safe working environments for their employees.

This situation highlights the unreasonable expectations the public puts on teachers. We are being put in an environment that has a high risk of long lasting illness or fatality without the proper safety equipment or working environments. Three months ago everyone was rallying along side Amazon employees, grocery store employees, and food processing employees while they were standing up for themselves and demanding safety measures be taken in their work environment. But now when teachers are being put in an environment that is potentially dangerous they are told there is no money to protect them. Teachers are being blamed for and accused of things they have no control over only because they are asking for safe working environments for themselves and safe learning environments for the children they teach.

Yes, I agree there is a degree of personal responsibility in keeping yourself safe on the job. However, there is also an expectation that employers provide safe working environments. More than amytime before, that is not what is happening in education right now. This is a glaring example of how little value our society has for the people who make our society possible. I have never been so proud to be an educator as I am right now, and yet I have never felt so defeated as an educator at the same time.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

patman119

Same
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If they're not paying for it, I'm not doing it. If the district does not want to go above and beyond to help the students, why should we? I did see a story last week of a teacher in Hawaii who spent about $500 out of pocket to help better enhance the safety of her classroom.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ma...assroom-setup/

patman119 is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 08-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our district is providing this stuff, or at least reimbursing what we make.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district set aside $1 million to purchase everything needed in this situation. They also will be providing masks, but I purchased my own stronger ones as I am sure that the ones the district will provide will be minimal. I also bought some face shields since I donít know that they will be providing these. They were looking into it, but have not found a good deal yet.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I made a barrier to go around MY desk and made masks for myself and bought sanitizer for myself. I bought cleaning supplies for my desk and my supplies.

Everything else, the school can provide. However, Iím taking care of myself.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bedazzled1

Well Said
Old 08-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree that districts should be providing these things. Sadly, most of these things are not being provided equally throughout the districts .
bedazzled1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

Barriers
Old 08-06-2020, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our district looked into the barriers for student desks. We were advised by our attorney that it was a liability and could bring about lawsuits. Our district decided to only in stall them in the offices.

The are providing all students 2 washable face masks. Teachers will get 1 washable face mask to begin with and 2 face shields. They are also providing all hand sanitizer and disinfectant for classroom use. I have a large box in my classroom that was delivered earlier this week. They told me thatís only part of it, more is coming.
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

laydj2020

Old 08-07-2020, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
If they're not paying for it, I'm not doing it. If the district does not want to go above and beyond to help the students, why should we? I did see a story last week of a teacher in Hawaii who spent about $500 out of pocket to help better enhance the safety of her classroom.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ma...assroom-setup/

Things like this make me angry. It seems selfless at first, but after you think about it you realize it devalues teachers as professionals.

Every time we spend our money and use our personal time doing this kind of stuff, we send the wrong message. And we make teachers who really can't do this kind of stuff look less dedicated.
laydj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 08-07-2020, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If the professionally made desk barriers could be a liability issue, imagine the personal liability we are assuming when we try to make them ourselves!
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Dzani

Masks
Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I made masks all spring. I have a wardrobe of them. I always have various sizes in my car in case I see someone who needs one. I sent hundreds onto the nearby reservation, to elder homes, to my neighbors. So of course I will also give them to my students.

But... masks are absolutely not enough to make school safe. Im fighting reopening like crazy and also looking for work in a place that takes my life seriously.
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 08-07-2020, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am a spender when it comes to my classroom. I like to have a cozy and comfy space, especially since I spend so much time in my room. This is where I draw the line, though. I believe that districts (and the government officials who are forcing the issue) need to put money into keeping teachers, staff, and students safe. If the money isn't there, districts shouldn't be sending everyone back into their buildings. Teachers shouldn't be taking this on with their own money. I also think this opens the door to lawsuits.

I'm lucky to be in a district that has planned ahead and put money toward safety, and to be in a state where the governor is requiring distance learning in most counties.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 08-10-2020, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We are starting virtual, but in two weeks will begin staggered schedule of bringing back certain grade levels. Each week adding more students. My district has provided me with 3 washable masks and a bottle of hand sanitizer. No disinfectant. The bottle we have takes at least 30 minutes to be effective. We are suppose to use this throughout the day even though students will still be at the desks? I WILL NOT spend any of my money. Our superintendent is determined to begin school in spite of the numbers and scientists. I have to follow testing data, but our school system does not for our safety? I have a feeling that this "experiment" will end very badly.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Old 08-12-2020, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I, too, roll my eyes at the homemade partitions and other PPE that some teachers post proud pics of. I can't afford to buy things like that and don't even think about giving me any tools - I wouldn't be able to build the first thing. Makes me with local companies and crafty people would donate their time to build stuff for classrooms or supply us with what we need.
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

No Way
Old 08-12-2020, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I used to spend a ton of money at school. I cannot explain how DONE I am with that. I am also not spending a dime on digital resources or anything. I am not only insulted by the attitude of our admin toward safety, but the lies. They are straight out lying to students, parents, and the community.

Like you said, I don't want to give too much away, but the message going out to the public is just not true. I am worried that people will die. We've had some sick teachers and kids. These admin will never leave their offices to even get near any of us. I don't know how they can sleep at night. At any rate, I'm not putting up some half-way barrier that will not protect me anyway. It's a false sense of security.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote