Itís October! Whatís Everyone Been Reading? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Itís October! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?

>

trasie

Itís October! Whatís Everyone Been Reading?
Old 10-01-2020, 03:08 AM

October! Please share what youíve been reading.

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Book
Old 10-01-2020, 04:47 AM

I am reading a thriller called Conspiracy of Bones by Kathy Reichs. I did not realize she has also written for the Fox series Bones. This is her latest one about Temperance Brennan, who works in medical forensics. She has written 19 novels, nut this was her latest release and my library had it, so I picked it up. The author gave enough background so I had no trouble learning about the characterís past enough to follow the story, but I will probably read the earlier books in order.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Books
Old 10-01-2020, 05:05 AM

Just read ďEmperor and the divineĒ. A nice little book about the internment of the Japanese. I also read ďMurder at the Mena HouseĒ. A mystery.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

what's reading
Old 10-01-2020, 05:32 AM

The Tender Land-excellent storytelling!
Where the Light Enters-Jill Biden's story of their life in politics and family life-pretty well written overall
Same Sky-really good
The Library-just started but am so intrigued, the writing is superb!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-01-2020, 06:00 AM

Linda, I absolutely loved The Same Sky and am glad you did, too. I recommended it here several times, along with Into the Beautiful North and American Dirt.

Right now Iím listening to Deacon King Kong. I love it, but there are a lot of characters to keep straight. Favorite line so far: ďShe shook me woke.Ē

I finished reading The Island of Sea Women for book club. I loved learning about the Korean divers, but I thought the story was thin.

Right now Iím reading Anxious People by Backman. Itís already been pretty thoroughly trashed here at PT, but Iím loving it. If you like quirky, really quirky, you might give this a shot despite the negative PT reviews. I think it is a beautifully written story of characters so real they spring to life. Backmanís wit and humor enchant me.

News: another quirky writer I adore is Nick Hornby (About a Boy). His newest, Just Like You, was released this week. I havenít read it yet.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

dakota_blue5

Old 10-01-2020, 06:40 AM

I read two of Dean Koontz's "Nameless" novellas--In the Heart of the Fire, and Photographing the Dead. I also reread Silas Marner before teaching it. I read Dean Koontz's Devoted, and finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I really enjoyed Where the Crawdads Sing. Currently, I'm reading J.D. Robb's Shadows in Death.
dakota_blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 10-01-2020, 06:50 AM

The Need by Helen Phillips
A review says the book explores maternal love, loss, and what one human can be asked to do for another. Another describes it as eerie and brilliant. I found it both a page turner and weird, and Iím still not sure about the ending.

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

Too Much and Not Enough by Mary Trump

A Night Divided by Jennifer A Nielsen
Scholastic book. The story of a family divided after the Berlin Wall goes up and how they reunite.

Another Womanís Husband by Gill Paul

The Art of Her Deal by Mary Jordan
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-01-2020, 06:55 AM

Finished Written out of History: The Forgotten Founders Who Fought Big Government by Senator Mike Lee- Interesting stories on some lesser known individuals who contributed to the founding of our nation, e.g. Iroquois Chief Canasatego, merchant Eldridge Gerry, slave Mum Brett. Easy read.

Finishing up Captive Warriors: A VietNam POW’s Story by Sam Johnson. Johnson was shot down over Vietnam and spent 7 years at Hanoi Hilton. During those years he spent almost 4 years in solitary and 18 months as a cell mate with John McCain. Johnson went on to become a Texas Representative in Congress. He died this past spring.

Next in line is Battleground: The Fight to Defend the Free World by H.R. McMaster. McMaster discusses American foreign policy since the end of the Cold War.

Last month, I finished up the Poldark 12 book Series (highly enjoyable and recommend) so now focusing on non-fiction interests.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

books
Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 AM

I read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri - excellent

The Gown by Jennifer Robson - great story, well told

Fresh Water for Flowers by Valerie Perrin - beautiful writing, a heartbreaking story of love and loss
and redemption
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-01-2020, 07:26 AM

I just started The Thursday Murder Club and it is very good so far!

Before that I read Redhead by the Side of the Road by Anne Tyler, and I didn't care for it much. Basically nothing happened.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-01-2020, 07:53 AM

Recently finished Melanie and Me and am currently reading The Woman in Cabin 10.

I know titles should be underlined, but can get it to do that on my ipad
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Fleurdelys

Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM

I read

Finished Writers and Lovers by Lily King

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley -murder mystery

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels and Eleanor Herman

Last edited by Fleurdelys; 10-01-2020 at 11:44 AM..
Fleurdelys is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-01-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I know titles should be underlined, but can get it to do that on my ipad
I can underline on my iPad, but I’m way too lazy.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 10-01-2020, 08:41 AM

I am currently reading Namesake and I am thoroughly enjoying. I know several PTers have also enjoyed this book.

I finished my last book by Laila Ibrahim. I really enjoy her writing. This last one that I read was Living Right. An evangelical family is shook by the middle son attempting suicide because he is gay. The evangelical way of life was especially followed by the mother and this is about the journey that this family makes to try to "save" their family member. This book is probably not for many readers. I learned a lot about the belief system and the conviction of evangelicals. I imagine the perspective is a bit over the top for many. I am so glad that I read this book. The author herself is gay and this may be somewhat autobiographical, but I have no proof of that. (I'm already anticipating her 4th book of the Yellow Crocus series coming out in 2021.)

Just before that I had read Laila's book, Paper Wife. Another good read that portrays the Chinese immigrants coming through Angel Island. The characters live in SF for a while and finally end up in Oakland. I love her strong female characters.

I also read Brunch and Other Obligations. A young woman dies and makes a final request that all of her besties meet monthly for a year for Sunday brunch. The friends are quite different. Each of them was bequeathed an uncharacteristic item by the deceased. Through her interesting gifts and forcing the women to come together, the women learn a lot about themselves. An enjoyable light read.

In my post about abandoning books i mentioned that "I am currently trying to enjoy Backmanís new book, Anxious People. Iím pretty sure Iím going to let it go back unfinished." I did let it go back to library unfinished. I missed the posts about the book that Amiga refers to: "Itís already been pretty thoroughly trashed here at PT, but Iím loving it. If you like quirky, really quirky, you might give this a shot despite the negative PT reviews." I will go back and look for others who have read this book. I have been trying to read some of the new releases that I think I might like and requesting them early on Libby. I often don't get a chance to see what my PT readers think of a book before I tackle it.

Another book that I abandoned was Wandering in Strange Lands. I have read several books, both nonfiction and fiction on the topic of the American migration. This one didn't do it for me.

I will be rereading/skimming The Vanishing Half for my next book club discussion.

I am listening to Bill Bryson"s The Body: A Guide for Occupants. Entertaining and full of facts read by the author himself.

I'm anxiously awaiting Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi, the author of Homegoing.

I also can queue up Caste in the next few days.

I have discovered that the Libby app has an option to read the beginning of a book. I'm going to do that more now so that I don't wait for books that I may not finish. I always have the max on my holds list.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

My list
Old 10-01-2020, 08:49 AM

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson.
What do you do when you move next door to simeone you think has a momento os someone who was murdered?

Shakespeare Saved My Life by Dr. Laura Bates. A female professor, a super maximum security prisoner and how Shakespeare saved them both.

Thick as Thieves by Sandra Brown. A woman uncovers secrets as she tries to figure out about her father's involvement in a heist gone wrong. Interesting plot twist.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Flatshare
Old 10-01-2020, 02:10 PM

I am listening to Flatshare by Beth O'Leary. I am enjoying it.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 10-01-2020, 02:34 PM

I just finished Not Her Daughter by Rea Frey. Now I've just started The Dilemma by B.A. Paris and I just received from the library Find the Helpers by Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter was killed in the Stoneman Douglas HS shooting in Parkland (I teach in that city a mile away from MSD).
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 10-01-2020, 02:55 PM

I barely have time to read my emails. How are you guys reading non-work stuff so much?
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-01-2020, 03:33 PM

I read Then She Was Gone By Jewell. It had some interesting twists.

I am just finishing A Gentleman in Moscow By Towles. The language is beautiful. It has taken me awhile to read it because the story moves slowly at the beginning but itís intriguing.

My next book is The Other Mrs.. I hope to start it over the weekend.

I let Big Summer go unfinished. Thanks to whomever posted about letting go of some books. I did not like the writing or the story in this book.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Retired
Old 10-01-2020, 04:23 PM

Many of are retired. I read every night before I was retired. I did not have children, so that freed up time.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-01-2020, 04:35 PM

I'm in the middle of The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. I am really enjoying it, and I've had a hard time staying with books since school started.

The best book I've read in a while was The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. Great story, so well written, I had a hard time putting it down. I've recommended it to everyone.

The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner. It started strong for me, then got slow in the middle but I stuck with it. Not my favorite read lately but it was pretty good.

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs was a light, enjoyable read. Nothing noteworthy, but decent.

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris was meh for me.

Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby went on my did not finish list.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-01-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I am just finishing A Gentleman in Moscow By Towles. The language is beautiful. It has taken me awhile to read it because the story moves slowly at the beginning but it’s intriguing.

My next book is The Other Mrs.. I hope to start it over the weekend.

I let Big Summer go unfinished. Thanks to whomever posted about letting go of some books. I did not like the writing or the story in this book.
hand, A Gentleman in Moscow is one of my all time favorite books. It is beautifully written. I also could not get into Big Summer and did not finish it. We must be reading twins! I tried to read The Other Mrs. but I couldn't get into it. I'll be interested to know what you think of it.

Quote:
I can underline on my iPad, but I’m way too lazy.
I'm with Amiga on this!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-01-2020, 09:25 PM

In September, I read:

The Janus Stone Book 2 of the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. I like the series, I like the main character.

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. Perhaps it was overhyped for me because I thought it was good but not great.

As Bright as Heaven by Susan Meissner. A book about the 1918 influenza as it happened in Philadelphia. An interesting book to read right now. Wear a mask.

The Book of Candlelight by Ellery Adams. Book 3 of the Secret, Book and Scone Society. I like these easy reads; this one is, I think, better than book 2.

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. Good book, well written.

Little Bookshop of Murder by Maggie Blackburn. This. Was. Dreadful. I didn't abandon it because it was like watching a snake, I just couldn't look away. It's the first of a series that I won't read.

Dear Mrs. Bird by A.J. Pearce. This was lovely. A WW2 book with a Plucky Heroine.

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. Thank you to whomever suggested this series. I'll keep reading!

I read aloud Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, both by CS Lewis. Our Read Aloud for October will be That Hideous Strength, the third in this trilogy.

@hand, I wish I hadn't read A Gentleman in Moscow yet because I would love to read it for the first time again to savour that beautiful language.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-02-2020, 02:07 AM

I can tell you what I'm NOT reading anymore since I finally gave up 2/3 way through it....The Goldfinch!!!!!

My reading slows WAY down once school starts. I have The Guest List on my Kindle and hope to start that this weekend.

I do enjoy this thread as I get lots of good ideas to put on my list :-)
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-02-2020, 07:07 PM

All I managed this past month was my book club book. We decided to do a "fun" read and read Death Comes to Pemberly. It's a murder mystery based on the Pride and Prejudice characters. It wasn't terrible, just not really my taste. I will say I didn't like Pride and Prejudice, so that might be part of it, but the major fan in our group who chose the book wasn't a big fan of this one either. The super slow style just doesn't really work for me.

I have had my kindle on airplane mode for forever so I can read This Tender Land. I had it on hold all summer and when it finally came in, I was too busy with school! I seriously need to start reading it this weekend, before I have to take my kindle off of airplane mode in order to download this month's book club book.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

Old 10-03-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The best book I've read in a while was The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd. Great story, so well written, I had a hard time putting it down. I've recommended it to everyone.
Reading this right now and agree!

I also read Island of the Sea Women and thought it was really good! I enjoy books that make me want to learn more.

Finished listening to Dear Wife and wasn't very impressed.
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote