Help

BusyBoard

Anyone else had an observation yet?

>

hikinghiker

Anyone else had an observation yet?
Old 10-14-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm having my first observation of the year tomorrow morning. Nervous since we're entirely DL.

To those of you who have had observations with the DL or Hybrid model, how did they go?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Observation
Old 10-14-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had an observation last year while we were distance learning. The principal liked the way that my personality was the same on Zoom as it is in the classroom - so try to keep your personality the same as he/she would see in your regular classroom.

My principal also liked how the kids responded which showed that I had set up Zoom 'rules' and conduct in the beginning.

I don't know if you have to use learning targets, but I started with what our learning goals were for our Zoom class and ended with a closure bringing the class back to the focus of the lesson.

I'm sure you will do well - sending you positive energy!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 10-14-2020, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had one last week. It was fine and I glad this round is over. I kind of liked that it was during distance learning because there is less behavior than in the classroom. Of course I teach early childhood so I am sure the older you get the more potential there is for behavior issues. My kids have parents right there to get them online and to help them mute and unmute. Good luck and I am sure you will do well.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Observation
Old 10-14-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can't imagine having an observation during distance learning. My live teaching or video teaching would suck. I feel I do a pretty good job providing resources, lessons, activities, etc. during distance learning, but the actual teaching through a camera to no one is awful and totally not observation worthy!

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Observation
Old 10-14-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yep, I had my official evaluation a week ago. I invited my principal to join my Zoom meeting so she could get the full experience. I

I did great! A very positive evaluation.

I always prep well and provide my principal with a fully written lesson plan addressing all areas of the lesson (standards, goals, materials, addressing divers learners and so on). I figure if I can provide the necessary information, I am also providing the facts necessary for my evaluation.

arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

This week
Old 10-15-2020, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My P said in his staff update that he would be doing observations this week. I wish it were over rather than having it dangling, not knowing when! I should ask him to count the part of the lesson he saw in the computer lab last week. Lab had crashed, he was trying to get it up again...I “tap-danced” for 35 minutes!
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-15-2020, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All of our teachers had a walkthrough already. The P was pretty complimentary. She was looking at student engagement and liked what many teachers were doing. Wheel of names, students had jobs (time keeper, brain breaks, bell ringer...)
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 10-15-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our P told us that our formal observation will be filled out in his office this year. We only need to submit a lesson and sign our paperwork for observation. Love our P this year!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-15-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My P put out the schedule and I was supposed to be the first formal of the year. However, my schedule was a hot mess this year because of all the new requirements re: cohorting and all of that. All of our other service providers are meeting with students via zoom, and I had to work around that and help the rest of the team figure out a schedule. When the secretary emailed me to set my observation, I told her I couldn't tell her a time because I didn't even have a finalized schedule yet. She took pity on me and moved me to the end of the line, which will be mid-November.

Now it's looking more and more like we'll be remote by then, so that will be fun. I hope P is being pretty lenient because it's going to be way harder to get all of the "points," at least with the way I have to do my remote learning.

The other fun thing is that my schedule still changes constantly due to quarantines. Every time a class is quarantined, I have to change my schedule around in order to meet with those students virtually and then the others in person. My district has this awesome rule that the teacher gets to pick the time for the observation, so of course previously I picked a group I knew would do well. Now I can take a stab at that, but if a group ends up quarantined and I have to change the schedule around for the observation, who knows what I'll actually be doing at the scheduled time.

Honestly I am miffed that they didn't get rid of evals for this year. We have stupid state laws about them and we were told it would have to come from the state/they would have to say districts aren't required to turn in ratings. Isn't it enough trying to stay alive and teach something at the same time, and deal with 2092340398 new and constantly changing policies? I'm fine if admin wants to do walkthroughs and give feedback but the whole formal system seems stupid this year.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

DiamondGirl

Observations
Old 10-21-2020, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our admin team (there are 4 of them) thinking nothing of popping in daily to give us observations. One time I had 3 in my virtual class at once and only 1 decided to leave.

It is annoying. One thing that bothers me is that we have to keep our cameras on but theirs always stay off.

DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote