Help

Retired Teachers

Am I noticing the wrong thing

>

Irish

Am I noticing the wrong thing
Old 10-18-2020, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When I was teaching PT was such a great resource to ask for ideas and advice. I loved posting with same grade level colleagues. I got some great tips that made me a better teacher. I don’t see much action on the grade level boards. Am I missing something? It seems like a lot of apathy.

Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Grade level boards
Old 10-18-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suspect it’s Covid related. No one can teach the way they’re used to, so specific grade level curriculum questions aren’t top priority right now. Just my guess.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Less collaboration
Old 10-18-2020, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I, too, have noticed less collaboration, tips, advice, etc. but long before Covid hit.

I’ve wondered if TPT had anything to do with this downward trend. In other words, why give something away for free when one can possibly get paid for it?

It also seems that teachers are under more and more pressure in so many areas, which can also reduce collaboration and increase competitiveness among colleagues.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Changes...
Old 10-18-2020, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am retired, but my last few years, I noticed big changes. The district mandated curriculum, materials, and methodology. Projects I enjoyed fell by the wayside as the requirements and expectations increased. The principal would refer to projects, particularly creative bulletin board ideas, as “crafts”, although many had strong curricular connections. These changes are not necessarily for the better, but I think they have an impact.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 10-18-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm retired but tutor a wide span of ages and subjects and if I want to find a resource on PT, I often have to find something from before around 2016. I think TPT affected the free sharing of ideas and resources.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-18-2020, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think the vast majority of current teachers left quite a while ago for social media teacher groups that are quite active. There are any number of other places where teachers can get really good help for all kinds of teaching questions.

This site is mainly occupied by retired teachers (like me) and a number of older teachers. Most of the young ones are long gone.

Most of the posts here are just sharing thoughts, feelings, joys, and woes (not woahs ). It's conversation and companionship among people who have/had teaching in common. It's an old-fashioned chatboard, still helpful and enjoyable to many, but not what many younger teachers find especially useful when they have other options.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sharing stuff seems to have vanished since tpt became so popular. People want to make a little money instead of sharing resources for free.

Kind of sad - I got so many great ideas from PT
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Before retirement, I had
Old 10-18-2020, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

several ( 6-7) PTer's who worked with me on several types of projects. We always did it privately b/c we wanted to remain anonymous. ( I'd have put stuff in the open and I am sure others would have too if we had 1 vent account to talk freely about challenges and 1 focused on sharing ideas. I think most of us worried our P's could be reading this!
I really lucked out w/ a group I found on here separately over the years. So I think there are people who meet here and work together still. Maybe they just don't put it out for everyone to see.
I had heard so many people talk about TPT that I had to go look at it years ago. I was not really impressed by much on there. Maybe it was b/c I never went back. I could not imagine paying for a worksheet that I could make in 5 minutes. They had some cute stuff, but it looked like you had to assemble and spend a lot of time to make the things I liked workable. I guess I already had most of what I needed anyway.
I used to read the vents which were often helpful to me too. New programs ( usually recycled programs) always make their way here late. Most of the time we'd get a new program, I'd know the pitfalls of it ahead of time and be able to ask the right questions when it got "rolled out." lol
It may just be a different type of help for teachers now.
I used to see more good advice given. Then it seemed like we had a few trolls for a bit. I got really busy and spent less time on here after that until now.
As for the apathy, I think it is intensified by Covid, but I think schools got so bad in some places that a lot of teachers have been barely "hanging on."

Last edited by Summerwillcom; 10-18-2020 at 03:27 PM..
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikecoffee

Interesting theories...
Old 10-18-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Interesting theories about changes that you have all noticed. Today I learned a few things. Thanks!
Mikecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

PT changes
Old 10-19-2020, 02:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I definitely noticed a shift in sharing ideas for teaching after TPT came along.Teachers no longer freely posted ideas and helpful tips.
I remember it was the reason I joined in 2007! I got so many great things from here that I used all during teaching 4th grade. I also loved posting my units and worksheets that I had created.

And I suppose in the current year, it's understandable that the boards are more about surviving!

I miss the early days though. I never even knew about the Teacher's Lounge early on either, so I was strictly here for teaching stuff.

Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

Re:online information sites
Old 10-19-2020, 02:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Good morning to all

I have noticed this same thing on many of the sources I log into on the internet. Whether it's a fishing information exchange site or a teaching site, the initial stages of the exchange show a rapid explosion of posters and information being exchanged, and then over a few years, the number of posters and the amount of information drops off.
I think in some cases people get offended by other's posted attitudes and points of view or people just run out of things to say which are germane and appropriate to the site.
Also, I think lots of folks have moved to facebook and the other "social" platforms- which I do not- never looked at facebook in my life.
I see a general lessening of information flow on the internet, and that's unfortunate.

good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I agree
Old 10-19-2020, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

that younger teachers have moved to other platforms. The younger teachers at my former school got a lot of ideas from Instagram. There are also the Facebook groups that a more tailored to specific grades or topics like Bitmoji classrooms. I used to belong to a couple of them too. I recently unfollowed them. Cleared up my feed quite nicely. I think the fact that TPT is out there also has had an impact. Plus Covid. So many things.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with the previous posters. Years ago I loved looking at the grade level boards and got lots of fabulous and free ideas. I'm sure many of the talented ProTeacher members moved to TPT and other platforms and got paid for their ideas. I don't blame them a bit but missed the discussions and support. I'm retired but look occasionally at the grade I used to teach. Most questions are about a specific program or curriculum I'm not familiar with.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

I think
Old 10-19-2020, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is a combination of teaching today and the use of many different social media sites now available. Some of my former co-workers are teaching remote and some are F2F. They have to deal with all the regular details of being a teacher along with Covid. One of my friends spent 5 hours in April trying to get the lighting just right and practicing how to look relax/natural on camera.

My journey to PT officially happened when I was ready to retire. I am a relatively new member, so I don't know what PT was like years ago. I would occasionally visit when I was teaching but never logged in. Instead, I would frequent other sites that would be geared for early childhood education. PT offers more but when I was teaching there was no time.

I enjoy PT now that I am retired. I look forward to seeing what everyone is reading, getting recipes, and noting helpful suggestions about appliances/retirement/meal plans.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote