Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anybody have an air fryer??

>

maui

Anybody have an air fryer??
Old 10-18-2020, 10:11 AM

Have been thinking of buying one for a while. Does anybody have one??? Do you use it often? Which one do you have?

maui is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 10-18-2020, 10:19 AM

I have the Breville Smart oven Air and I love it.
I use it all the time.
ChrisL77 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 10-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Can you explain their function? What do you use it for?
suzyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM

In doing a little research, I just got the Chefman 6L Digital Air Fryer, Dehydrator, Rotisserie Combo which is a Multi-Functional Air Fryer handles any cooking, baking, rotisserie, dehydrating and of course, air frying:

https://chefman.com/product/multi-fu...ie-dehydrator/

Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the cylindrical basket, but I see that my model used to come w/ it. It must not anymore for those who buy it after a certain date.

I intend to cook frozen fried foods, cook whole rotisserie chicken, dehydrate my favorite of the dried fruits...persimmons, maybe make some turkey jerky, and more!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Air Fryer
Old 10-18-2020, 11:16 AM

I bought the Gourmia at Costco last fall.

Our special needs adult daughter uses it frequently. She has really connected to it, which thrills me, as it encourages her to cook in a more healthy way and is following a low-carb diet more routinely.

For the uninitiated, the air fryer is supposed to, I guess, take the place of a deep fat fryer, and it many respects, it has done an admirable job.

DD2 has done chicken fingers, bacon-wrapped chicken fingers, bacon-wrapped asparagus, brussel sprouts, hamburgers (particularly when it's too cold for the grill and we don't want to mess up the stove )

I'm sure others have lots of other suggestions, and I look forward to seeing them.

We do use it enough that it justifies the extra storage space it takes up.

Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

bronxgirl75

Old 10-18-2020, 11:25 AM

I have one and love it. It replaced a toaster, toaster oven (don't ask) and a deep fryer.
I use it to make chicken parm (healthier) no oil, anything that would be deep-fried is cooked in there because it doesn't use oil. I roast potatoes in there, cook anything that needs an oven but I'm too lazy to use the oven for. Snacky stuff, pizza, rolls, cookies.
bronxgirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikecoffee

We have one...
Old 10-18-2020, 11:55 AM

We have one and use it all the time. I don't have the brand name handy, but I do know that we have one brand and my two daughters each have different brands, and all three brands work well.

It's a good purchase, in my humble opinion.

I will add that we also have had a bread maker for years (Cuisinart), and often make use of that appliance as well.
Mikecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-18-2020, 11:56 AM

We use it ALL. THE. TIME. Any snack-like food or sides we might cook in the oven get cooked in the air fryer (fries, onion rings, fish sticks, chicken strips, lots and lots of other things. I also use it to heat up things that I want to get crispy again, like leftover pizza.

We have this one: https://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10247

Pretty sure dh got it from Costco. It looks like it does more than I even know (I didn't know about the presets- I just hit a few buttons to randomly pick a time and temp ). Dh probably knows. He does all the cooking. I just do some individual reheating

Some day we'll upgrade to a fancier one with more options (shelves would be nice, or a larger capacity).
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Options
Old 10-18-2020, 12:11 PM

If you don't have a pressure cooker you may want to consider one that also has an air fryer lid. If you have a pressure cooker you can purchase the lid separately. Saves space since it does everything except microwave.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Air fryer
Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 PM

I have one and love it. I can't remember the brand. I don't use it as often as I'd like, mainly because many of the recipes require ingredients I normally don't get because it's just me. However, I have found a few recipes I like to to make in it. It's super easy, fast, and delicious.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-18-2020, 01:08 PM

I'm playing around with the idea of asking for one for Christmas. I'm just not sure I'd use it often enough to justify it. I was actually just doing some googling yesterday and saw a lot about how you just have to play around with it and figure out the best cooking times. I like having directions that I know are 100% right . I'm a lazy cook. 90% of what I eat is stuff from Trader Joe's that requires minimal prep. If they put directions for air frying on some of the products I'd be more inclined to get one.

From what I saw in my "research" it also seems that more people like the ones that come with the trays you can set food on rather than the basket kind, and the digital displays are better so you can be more precise with the settings.

Last edited by Haley23; 10-18-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Irish

Air fryer
Old 10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

I have a Cuisinart air fryer, toaster, toaster oven. We use it constantly. I got rid of my toaster and toaster oven. I like having the glass to see whatís going on inside. I did have knobs break off twice and Cuisinart sent me a whole new oven. I think the newer models are digital.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

air fryer
Old 10-18-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I have a Cuisinart air fryer, toaster, toaster oven.
I have the same one, and like Irish, got rid of my toaster. I use it all the time. Toast, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tofu, tempeh, anything that is deep fried in oil can be air fried. I love it, because I do not use any oil in my cooking.

I like the large rectangular basket and the glass window.

There is a learning curve, because it seems to run hotter than other air fryers, judging from the temperatures in online recipes.

It is also a regular oven and a convection oven.

Quote:
I think the newer models are digital.
The digital ones may be easier to use. The mechanical dials are a bit awkward.

The Cuisinart is more expensive than other air fryers, but I got a great deal on it, perhaps because they were phasing the mechanical model out.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

abc123gal

Air Fryer
Old 10-18-2020, 03:13 PM

I don't really use mine that much, unless the grandkids want chicken nuggets or french fries heated up. It's great if you eat foods that need to be just warmed up and crispy.
abc123gal is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 10-18-2020, 03:30 PM

I bought the Mealthy lid to go on top of the InstantPot, turning it into an air fryer. It's OK.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-18-2020, 03:51 PM

I made hamburgers in mine just last night. Yummy! It is great for things I used to stick in the oven - chicken fingers, fries, etc. My only issue is that it is huge and I don't have room to leave it on my countertop. Dragging it out can be a pain, but I do it often.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Chefman
Old 10-18-2020, 04:42 PM

I got a Chefman air fryer for my birthday and I love it. I cook chicken in it and it also makes great fried shrimp. The shrimp go in frozen and I preheat for 5 minutes and cook them for 5 minutes. I also cook broccoli tots in it. Everything gets crispy without oil.
anonymouse is online now   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Air fryer lid
Old 10-18-2020, 05:00 PM

I got one that fit on the top of my Instant Pot. I wasn't impressed. It was so bulky I could have bought another appliance for all the space it took. It also just quit working, after the return policy expired. I had to beg for my refund, which was not the full purchase price.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 10-18-2020, 05:19 PM

I looked into the InstaPot Air fryer lid but Iím not convinced I want to purchase it. I do like the idea of of buying an air fryer and some mentioned that it could replace my toaster as well- I like that!
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 10-18-2020, 06:51 PM

I use it when I am in a hurry and want a meal cooked quickly. Mostly for chicken.
Easy clean up, too, which is nice.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote