Help

The VENT

Why is it that...

>

SoDone

Why is it that...
Old 10-19-2020, 12:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...the school paperwork seems to be incessant this year? We have some sort of wasted meeting during planning 3 out of 5 days and they all require a different data sheet to be prepared plus the "lesson plan PowerPoints" that must be prepared before Friday mornings (and then fixed to admin's liking). I find myself not getting much time to prepare for my actual classes or give meaningful feedback to students because I'm stuck in this busy work cycle each week. I love my kids this year but the amount of stress over paperwork and deadlines makes me dread each day. My job is getting in the way of my work!

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

marcy46

agree 100%
Old 10-19-2020, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is like we are drowning from the work load and they keep throwing water in our faces.
marcy46 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-19-2020, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At this time when they should be seeing what they can be taking OFF our plates!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Weekly engagement forms
Old 10-19-2020, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, SoDone! The unnecessary paperwork is ridiculous.

In CA, we have to do forms weekly that track "student engagement." We're doing our jobs, trying to deliver both in-person (hybrid model) and at-home learning activities, and we have to document that we are doing our jobs! What is the point? Well, now that I think about it, it's all about covering for the higher-ups if parents sue for something being inadequate about the current situation.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 10-19-2020, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Posts like this make me so thankful I'm at my current school. There's no unnecessary paperwork and they've never given us something to do with anything less than a few weeks warning. Lesson plans do have to be turned in, via district policy, but admin told us that it's totally fine to just put the lesson number, page number, and topic and standards for lesson plans instead of rewriting the teachers manual.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Too much...
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my state, things like SGOs are still required. There just are not enough hours in the day. I am retired, but I read of a lot of teachers crying, stressed and exhausted. I feel for you all.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Wow
Old 10-21-2020, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh my gosh - I'm glad to know I'm not alone, but what the actual crap is wrong with helping teachers balance their workloads so we are allowed the time needed to be better humans and educators?? All most of us want to do is help others - why don't more people in leadership positions want us to succeed in that? Quit micromanaging every second of class time (and what's supposed to be family time) with a bunch of crap and just let us freaking teach! I love the "idea" of my career but I haven't had the freedom to actually do it in at least four years. I feel like I'm just about finished since I don't feel effective this way.
I have no other skill set really so I wonder if I can set up a "Go Fund Me" to retire 17 years early!
SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote