Help

ARCHIVE

Changing Theme --help me brainstorm :)

>

teachil

Changing Theme --help me brainstorm :)
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I am thinking of changing my theme for this year (3rd grade) from a sports theme to a movie theme. I have come across some ideas already but am getting stumped on some other things. Please help if you can ideas/suggestions are so welcomed.

Here is where I am stuck: job board, behavior ( I was going to do score a homerun with good behavior and if I change theme I can either leave it or come up with something different but don't know what and this would be for individual not whole).

Another thing is I was going to do this Playbook idea that another member here posted and it would kind of be like a handbook for students and parents of expectations, curriculum, etc. but Don't know what I could change the name of it to.

Bring on the ideas Thanks

Or if you have anything you may have used if you have done this theme before would be GREAT !!!!

Jen

REB

Did this last year, and doing this this year.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have done the movie theme last year, and I'm doing it again this year...added some new things, that kind of stuff.

My individual student achievement area is called "Bravo!", and the students get to autograph their star, and hang it on my wall for the 9 weeks. At the end of the 9 weeks, they may take it home.
The stars are traced, and are nothing more than a colored piece of copy paper.
Also, the Bravo student gets a little treat from my goodie basket, and takes a parent letter home to let their parents know that they were chosen for BRAVO that day.

Also, I have a group board...the group one is the "Now Starring" area where the students of the month will go. Last year, because my teammate and I teach so many students, we did students of the 9 weeks. I teach an average of about 450 students a week.
I teach 4th-6th grade music. My teammate teaches the other 450 or so.

REB

Judy24

Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can see something like Acadamy Awards (OScars) or Emmys being student awards. What about something like a film strip where you post important info. Something with scripts could be a display for writing.

I think it's a cool idea, but I'm not coming up with much right now.

teachil

Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How do they get Bravo?

tia

movie theme/stars
Old 07-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i, too, am doing a movie theme (At the Movies!) this year--never done it. no ideas for job board (not everything i do IS centered around the theme (i do WAY too much as it is....)

but here is what i'm doing:

*first, you can get stars (blue, red, yellow, or muted gold) at Dollar Tree--they are on thicker paper, about the size of your palm--i think there are 30 in a pack. (you could also use your ellison machine, if you have one, but this may save you some time!

*first day of school: i'm laying out the red carpet (got one at our party supply store--think it was only $15--might be able to get a piece of carpet for free or cheap at carpet store if you tell them you're a teacher. i'll also put it out for any "special" days (if i remember!)

*before school starts, i invite my students in to help set up room--we also we do a meet-n-greet this year to drop off supplies and meet teacher; at this time, i'll have them pick a piece of costume out of box, and i'll take a pic, post on a star, and post those out in the hallway under some banner about Now Starring...or something.

i have all these 1/2ideas that i haven't flushed out yet because i don't really want to think about school starting!

*i bought some border--it's plasticky--that looks like movie frames; i'm going to have the kids draw pictures of what they did during the summer with sharpies and then border a bull. board that shows their writing.

*for my AR board, they'll get pics of Oscars for each 5 pts--not sure what i'll attach them to (maybe each kid will get a shelf or something...)

*i also found a "street sign" that says hollywood to put over my door!

that's all i've got so far, would love to hear other ideas.

REB

here's how I pick Bravo....
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Bravo students are picked (usually two at a time...one boy, one girl), and these are two students that I pick at random from my roll book, and I close my eyes and pick two names, and if the students I come to in the roll book have had good behavior, and participation that day in class, they are chosen for Bravo, and that's what I do the very FIRST time I pick, after the first class, I go down the roll book from either direction, and pick two more students, and if they have had good behavior, and good participation, they are selected that day, and so forth, until everyone gets a turn! When we start over, I do it the way I did it the very FIRST time.
I can't stand listening to students whine about "why isn't ____ picked", so that's why I do it this way, and it sure does cut down on the arguing, because they never know, which way up or down, or in the middle of the roll book I will go to next to select Bravo, so they all try really hard to be on their best behavior that day.

They also like taking letters home to their parents saying that they received Bravo...sometimes these are kids who might not get picked for many other things, and I heard quite a few times last year, from parents, and regular classroom teachers how much this meant to a child.

REB

3grteacher

Some Ideas.....
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

BE A STAR WITH GOOD BEHAVIOR

I like the red carpet idea. A cheap version would be to tape down some red butcher paper like a carpet.

We do a fashion show every year and I bought Christmas rope lights to go around the 'carpet'. It looks so cool.

Handbook: Studio Tour Guide

We had a celebrity day a few years ago and I took star die cuts and put the kids names on them. I used contact paper and taped them down to the tile floor. I wrote: Mrs. XXXXX Walk of Fame

Jobs: Have two pairs of sunglasses that you could put on your kids desks to show who the daily helpers are. You'd have to change that around if you like to have many helpers.

Student awards could be called OSCARS....(like posted above). "For best behavior in a difficult situation....and the Oscar goes to......"

mrsjames2nd

I am also doing the movie theme.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have come across many ideas some taken from other threads.
  • I bought my scene setter online or you can get one at partycity to cover like a wall of your room.
  • My scene setter is red carpet.
  • Reading corner: Red Carpet Readers
  • Read with the stars - I will have pictures of celebrities reading( try www.getcaughtreading.com for downloadable posters)
  • I also bought a red carpet at Party City for 4.99 I plan on keeping up all year. Director's clap baord is 1.99 and other cute stuff.
  • I have created S.T.A.R. ( students, taking academic responsibility) for homework and notices. check out my site: www.mrsjames2ndgrade.inspiringt eachers.com
  • STAR nameplates can be used for the first day.
Attached Files
File Type: doc MOVIE%20THEME%20IDEAS[1].doc (28.5 KB, 965 views)
File Type: pdf starnameplate.pdf (84.6 KB, 727 views)

dolmansaxlil

Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

For your job board, what about: "Cast and Crew" or "Production Assistants" or "Supporting Cast". For the jobs, you could use names of the crew for movies. What jobs do you have in your classroom? I may be able to pull out ideas from my former life as a costumer!

JustJess81

Hollywood Theme
Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Hi,
My Grade 3 and 4 class have asked to do a Hollywood Theme for this Term. I have read the discussion boards and have plenty of great ideas to fix up the class but I am lacking actual TEACHING ideas.
I would be greatful for any ideas that relate to teaching in the classroom across all learning areas.
Thanks

aweems

BB Titles
Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Last April, the JR/SR Prom theme was "A Red Carpet Affair". I know the class sponsor very well and she let me have the left-over decorations AND if I helped tear down after the prom....I could take whatever I wanted!!!

They made some huge director clapboards out of cardboard (painted black) and silver foil tape....I think it is tape air conditioning guys use. I convinced my husband to help me make a stage for one corner of my room...the kids will be able to read their own written stories from stage, etc.

A couple of BB titles that I'm thinking about are:

Books are your ticket to adventure. (ticket)
Pop into a good book. (popcorn or pop)
Party with the stars. (stars with book characters names)
Get refreshed...read (concessions stand)
Presenting....2nd Grade Shining Stars
Now showing....two thumbs up work.

I'm still thinking and designing my room. Thanks for all of the great ideas so far. I'll keep reading!