Help

BusyBoard

Post-it Notes/Strategy Use while reading

>

Teacherbee_4

Post-it Notes/Strategy Use while reading
Old 07-10-2020, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past, during independent reading, I had the students jot down their thinking, strategy use, etc. while reading. Often, whatever the teaching point was for the day in our mini-lesson, I had them have at least 1 sticky note that showed how they used in their book/independent book. Does anyone else have their kids do this? I'm starting to have second thoughts because I've tried to do it in the past with my books (using kid chapter books), and I found it to be in a PITA. Thoughts?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Post its
Old 07-10-2020, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They only truly work if it’s done by choice. I found if I mandated X number of post it’s with X strategies used, it sucked the joy out of reading.

It’s way better to call them together at the session’s end and share what they did.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Double-entry Journal or Two Column notes
Old 07-10-2020, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tried the sticky notes, but it got to be too cumbersome. I think it was in an AVID training where i heard about two and three-column notes. Years prior, I had originally used two-column notes as a 'double entry journal'.

The left column was where they copied/quoted the text (and page number) with any of the following: a passage, interesting language, a problem or a conflict, quotations, a key event, a critical fact, or a main idea. It was basically anything they wanted to respond to when they were 'free reading'. Of course, they didn't do this all at once. During specific guided instruction they wrote about whatever the focus was.

The right column was where they wrote their thoughts about the text with a reaction, a theory, a comparison, an explanation, its significance, observations or connections to self or the text.

I'm posting a page I gave to my colleagues (or at workshops) when they'd ask about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Two Column Notes-Double entry.pdf (63.2 KB, 27 views)
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

MightyTeach

Post its
Old 07-10-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I tried using post it notes numerous times and gave up! I really like Risa’s idea of using columns. I think I’ll create a similar t-chart.
MightyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! I've done double entry journals before, so maybe I'll do something like that!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote