Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tonight’s national news

>

kahluablast

Tonight’s national news
Old 07-12-2020, 05:34 PM

What did you think of the story on the national news where they had 5 pediatricians who emphatically said they were sending their kids back to school . Supposedly that the risk is low and they should be in school?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

What state, what city, what schools?
Old 07-12-2020, 05:37 PM

If it is like some of the schools that were being discussed on that other thread, i.e., very expensive schools with 13 kids per class, well, maybe. Who knows?

But definitely not the public schools I taught in, where there could be 40 students jammed into a room built for 25. So, so glad I am retired!
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Binney

Old 07-12-2020, 05:42 PM

I saw that. I think it's great that they feel comfortable sending their children to school. I also think it's great that this virus hasn't been hitting children as often or as hard - that is a huge blessing. But... I'm more concerned about the adults in schools. What happens when the teacher tests positive and is out for two weeks or longer? I don't think most school districts have the substitutes needed to keep schools up and running when teachers start testing positive or come into contact with a positive person and have to quarantine.
Miss Binney is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 PM

I would consider the source for this "news" and what corporation actually owns the broadcasting network. The tail wags the dog in our country. Listen to the scientists first.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-12-2020, 06:02 PM

I too wonder if their children attend a public school. I can't imagine my previous district being safe. Its an urban Title 1 school. Asthma is a given for many students. I think each district/county needs to decide what is right for their schools. I can't believe it is safe for schools to open. There are many adults involved in the running of a school, it isn't just children. I wish we would really think about schools and not about the economy and the need for parents to return to work. Its getting worst instead of better.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Link to news segment
Old 07-12-2020, 06:08 PM

Here's a link to that story

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...ic-87569477784

They solely spoke about kids in schools. No mention of adults in the schools.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-12-2020, 06:48 PM

The American Association of Pediatrics went back on their stand that schools should fully open in the fall. I would take that more seriously. The children mentioned probably do go to expensive private schools with small class sizes.

The president of the American Federation of Teachers believes that no one will have the funding to open the schools with the proper safety measures and are certain they won’t get money from the federal government.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-12-2020, 07:05 PM

It's sad when non educators think that the pandemic designed schoolroom will be ok for kids and teachers.America is in deep trouble.

PPCDTeacher

Old 07-12-2020, 10:16 PM

My friend is a pediatric Nurse and she said that NONE of the doctors and nurses she works with are sending their kids back to school. its a large hospital in a big city. And none of them are sending their kids in person.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

report on school
Old 07-13-2020, 02:27 AM

I couldn't help thinking this was kind of shoddy reporting. They did not explain clearly enough why they would send their kids to school. One said kids don't need to wear masks except high schoolers, why? One mentioned air flow, what happens if schools don't have good air flow and can't socially distance. Should those schools not open (in the pediatrician's opinion)?

And if the news story covered 5 more pediatricians, would there have been differing opinions?

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 07-13-2020, 03:00 AM

Everyone acts like a school is just a bunch of kids. Nobody seems to remember that adults work there too. We appear to be expendable to a large portion of society.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 AM

I'm going to listen to epidemiologists on this issue. I wouldn't go to a foot doctor for a head ache . America has the largest numbers of infected people and the numbers are quickly rising. Children have been isolated from each other since March. There isn't enough data or time given to exposure to safely say children will be safe. There are guesses as to how many thousands of children could die. One is too many in my book. As far as endangering the lives of the adults in the building, that's enough danger to keep the buildings shut down.

Last edited by anna; 07-13-2020 at 06:48 AM..

Teacherbee_4

Low risk
Old 07-13-2020, 06:12 AM

I get most children are low risk, but what I feel people are forgetting are those who aren't low risk. Not just children, either, but anyone else in society who is at a higher risk. Even though the children are low risk, they could give it to someone who is higher risk. That's where my concern is at right now.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 07-14-2020, 01:33 PM

On of my DILs is a CNA and she just quit her job at a pediatrician’s office so she could homeschool her children. She has the support of the doctors and nurse practitioners at her office and they feel it is a reasonable idea. They have spouses home with their children, or have kids in small private schools. She will be given her job back when the pandemic is over.

I don’t think most doctors feel this is anything to take lightly. Many are not sending their children back. Unfortunately, most children of essential workers wont have this privilege unless something is done . It’s not the job of the educators, however, to fix this problem.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-14-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
If it is like some of the schools that were being discussed on that other thread, i.e., very expensive schools with 13 kids per class, well, maybe. Who knows?
This exactly. I have a pediatrician friend who sent her daughter back to private school in May. She says she feels comfortable with the safety guidelines they are following, but when she listed them, there is no way the average public school could follow those guidelines. Her public posts are also about pleading with people to following masking and distancing guidelines because schools shouldn't reopen for in person learning if the percentage of positive tests are increasing.>

Quote:
I couldn't help thinking this was kind of shoddy reporting.
This too. It left a lot of questions unanswered.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote