Help

Music Teachers

Help!!!

>

joteach

Help!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was just hired to teach a three-week music enrichment course called, "Dance to the Music". The description is as follows: "Singing and dancing of course! Learn new songs and movement to music. Learn choreo- graphed dance/movements and create your own dance/moves."

I will teach two two-hour classes of 1-3 graders and 4-6 graders.

I am in desperate need of ideas for what to do with my 1-3 graders for two hours. My experience is mainly in vocal music with middle school and high school students, so I'm in a "fish-out-of-water" scenario here!

I would be greatly appreciative of any resources or ideas people could throw my way. Has anyone taught a similar course or done a dance/music unit in their music classes? I'm thinking of some sort of performance as a final goal, but that's all I have so far

THANK YOU!!

joteach is offline   Reply With Quote

latebloomer72

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

John Jacobson has a really great choreography video called Decades of Dance. It teaches a variety of dance steps from different styles of music, and he breaks them down very easily that I think the younger kids could do if you picked some simpler styles - like most of the 50's and 60's You might also check out the music express magazine website, there are some choreographed routines there that could spark some ideas.

I also do a lot of folk dances with this age - the Amidon's Chimes of Dunkirk other books like that.
latebloomer72 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are a number of CD's out there that have songs with specific movements that can be used with the younger kids. I can't remember offhand the publisher as it has been a while since I have taught general music
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

dshaw110

Dance
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check out John Feierabend's dvds and cds. He uses classical music and simple movements. The kids love them. They also learn about musical form.
dshaw110 is offline   Reply With Quote