Pros and Con of teaching younger kids rather than older kids - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

Pros and Con of teaching younger kids rather than older kids

>

Runewolf

Pros and Con of teaching younger kids rather than older kids
Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am studying to become an Elementary school teacher though I don't know what grade or if I get to choose a grade. I switched my major from Teaching Biology to Elementary because it just didn't feel right. Could anyone give me some pros and cons when it comes to teaching the younger kids than the older kids?

Runewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Cons: Younger kids: You cannot leave them alone for a second. You get very few breaks, for going to the bathroom, or just to breath, all day. You need to teach basic things that will get boring soon. Crying babies. Lots of parents sending kids to school sick, and you getting their diseases. Peeing in pants. Bathrooms. Lining up. Crying tantrums. Special snowflake parents. Hover-moms.
Pros: They genuinly want to learn, and show real love and affection. The work is not counted in a permanent record. You can be the first to influence them to love reading/knowledge.

Older kids (middle school high school). Cons: Hormones, telephones. Bullying. Teenage rebellion. Most are pretty sick of school by now. Tests count and if you have apathetic kids it is very hard to explain that they have only a few years to get with it.
Pros: higher thinking abilities. More interesting. Can formulate own opinions. You get planning time you can actually use for planning. More breaks. Less parent conferences.

Source (substitute for 3 years for all/any grade) I am getting my masters/certificate in elementary ed, but near the end of my program have decided to go back and get the classes (at a cheaper school) for secondary like I should have. I have a degree in English Writing, and can also teach art.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Try hard to aim for . . .
Old 04-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

. . . fourth grade. They are the best because they already have many skills, and they still want to please the teacher. They can do so much on their own. The appreciate fairness (don't we all?). I have been in K, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and fourth would be my first cho
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Runewolf

Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you this was very helpful

NewCAteacher

Agreed with PPs
Old 05-01-2016, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I currently teach elementary students in a mild/moderate self-contained SPED classroom. They are wonderful young people. Despite the intense struggles they face, they really love their teachers, they want to learn, and they are so resilient! I love all of these things about them.

HOWEVER, they are extremely needy, they are obsessed with what is "fair", and they will often try to manipulate others into believing that they are far less capable than they really are. Many of them can easily get away with whining to mom or dad about how the work is "too hard" and the parents will often give in and coddle them. It really is not helpful to the child's development.

I would say the worst part about working with littles is their parents. They are largely either helicopters or can't be bothered. That said, I really do love working with the youngest learners!

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-01-2016, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Elementary:
Pros - the little ones are adorable, willing to try new things, excited to learn, and believe you just because you're a grown-up
Cons - tying shoes and invasion of personal space

Secondary:
Pros - only have to prep for one subject, the occasional really interesting conversation
Cons - one subject can get reeeeeally tedious after four sections, more students who just don't care
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Runewolf

Thank you
Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everyone you really helped with me decision. I'm gonna go with what my gut tells me and I'm going to strive for elementary teaching. And hopefully get fourth grade