Has anybody started the annual "I hate fireworks" post yet? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Has anybody started the annual "I hate fireworks" post yet?

>

Charlotte

Has anybody started the annual "I hate fireworks" post yet?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:20 PM

I live in a neighborhood FULL of houses. The neighbor behind us and across the street are setting off a ridiculous amount of HUGE fireworks. They must have spent a fortune. Now, I'm not against fireworks if you can do it away from houses -- a field, farm, riverbank, lakeside. I'm not against professional shows. I just think it is incredibly selfish and rude not to consider other people who live near you. They could set a house on fire a lawn on fire. The neighbor behind us has a wife with advanced dementia. I feel very sorry for them tonight (and the entire past week and likely next week). It's also a city ordinance not to set off fireworks within 200 feet of a structure. And I'm really going to be pissed if my yard is full of their trash.

Yeah, I'm THAT neighbor. Bah humbug!

Charlotte is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

boomers
Old 07-04-2020, 06:24 PM

It's been steady for at least 3 hours and they are illegal in our city.
See yesterday's rant.

12:30 and still going strong. Maybe since they aren't traveling they spent the money on fireworks.

Last edited by mhugs; 07-04-2020 at 08:30 PM..
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 PM

My X & I had moved into our brand new home earlier in the year, and for the 4th of July we had a surprise from some neighbor.....they had set off fireworks and one was popping out of our backyard and had hit the siding of our house. I do not like fireworks being set off around homes.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 PM

Yup, steady here for over an hour. Starting to slow down now, but still going on.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

scprek

Old 07-04-2020, 06:35 PM

I feel like I am in the middle of a war zone! There are LOUD fireworks all throughout my neighborhood. I pray it stops soon. I took Tylenol PM to help me get to sleep. I hope it works.

scprek is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-04-2020, 06:38 PM

Weíve had a few go off in the last few weeks, but tonight we are on hour three and it does not seem to be subsiding.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Yes, they are all around us. Especially a few blocks over. Neighborhood dogs are barking, our cats are on edge. We were sitting on our deck and DH wanted to go for a walk to see which neighbors were setting them off. When I asked why he said he needed to see which neighbors he doesnít like.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-04-2020, 07:02 PM

Every night since Memorial Day. I live in a high fire danger zone and spent the day wetting down my roof.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

The ONLY saving grace is
Old 07-04-2020, 07:11 PM

that it has stormed and rained here a lot in the last few years. I wish it was storming right now.
Lottalove is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-04-2020, 07:39 PM

I canít tell where they are coming from, but there are some loud ones. They started around 6:30, and they are still going. The closest ones have died down. Our town doesnít have any fireworks, and we are too far to see the big show in the next town. Too many trees. We can hear them. They were at 10pm.

They dogs did pretty well. We piled up in bed with them. We had the television, a fan, and the air conditioning on. It masked some noise.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-04-2020, 07:39 PM

I live in the desert. We've had 4 brush fires nearby in the last few weeks. Some idiot is setting off fireworks.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-04-2020, 07:43 PM

They’ve been going off constantly for over 4 hours on every direction. At one point I was curled up in the fetal position crying because the noise was so upsetting. Mason was standing by me for a solid 30 minutes.

I’ve always hated fireworks. This year has been the worst ever. And apparently the non-emergency number isn’t working.

I honestly don’t know how people with PTSD are handling it. They have my complete sympathies.

And, of course, we have people on Nextdoor telling people to enjoy the show, asking if they’ll calm the cops on Christmas lights, etc. I just don’t understand the disrespect and lack of sympathy.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 07-04-2020, 07:57 PM

Someone nearby started at 10:30 this morning. They are going off all around us and have been for close to 2 hours. They are illegal in our city but thatís not stopping people. They arenít just the safe and sane ones, either. Full on aerial mortars going off nearby. Our cat is hiding behind the sofa and the dog is under the bed. We have music playing in the bedroom and the tv on with the volume up, but itís not drowning out all the noise. Itís going to be a long night.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Fireworks... Incredibly LOUD!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:20 PM

This is the first time in years that I'm home on the 4th of July. I always thought it was peaceful and quiet here because there are signs everywhere stating that fireworks are illegal in my city, but I am SOOOOO wrong! I can't believe how LOUD and continuous the blasts are! Lots of them sound like explosives being fired in trash cans! VERY dangerous! I don't dare go outside, even to take a peek, right now! I'm gonna guess this is highly unusual, but now I'm wondering...
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

fireworks
Old 07-04-2020, 08:37 PM

This year my city has canceled all fireworks, although some towns around us still have them. Private fireworks are illegal due to the potential for brush fires. One of my neighbors has compensated for the lack of city fireworks by making his own displays extra loud and long this year. The rest of the neighbors are upset because their pets are petrified. We go through this same thing every year with this particular neighbor. The police has been called many times in the past, and they won't come out unless there is proof it is that particular neighbor. This year several neighbors have video proof. Let's see if the police will do something this time, but we are not holding our breath.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Idaho4me

Not my favorite celebration style
Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 PM

Someone already set our fence on fire -- canons and bottlerockets going off all day. Sigh.
Happy Fourth of July.
Idaho4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-04-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
One of my neighbors has compensated for the lack of city fireworks by making his own displays extra loud and long this year.
I didnít know you lived in my neighborhood! The cops wonít do anything about him- he is a retired cop, plus cops are too busy tonight answering all the calls for shots fired.

I have my dogs drugged and hanging out in the quietest room in the house. Iím hoping we donít have ptsd from this. After New Years my little dog needed anti anxiety meds and kept peeing in the house. Hopefully this will just be for the night and not for the next few weeks.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Illegal in Massachusetts
Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 AM

At 9:15 pm my son came downstairs and asked if our town was having its annual fireworks display.

Nope, just crazy neighbors!
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

CA- illegal
Old 07-05-2020, 07:47 AM

We can't have them. Some people smuggle them in from Mexico, but people seem to be more worried than usual about fire season.

My sister is a big animal person (in a rescue group, etc.). She HATES fireworks because they make animals nervous.

My brother moved to Florida, and he was happy to be able to have some of his own. They were going to get together with some friends, but that was nixed due to the COVID uptick.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-05-2020, 08:14 AM

We gave our dogs Benedryl to try to help them chill out. They were petrified. I hate the DIY fireworks--wish they would ban them nationwide.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Iím not usually here for the 4th.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 AM

My neighbor is a cop. He and his family were setting off loud ones. Several of them came in the direction of my house. I had been sitting with my dog, but I had to leave her to go out into my driveway to make sure they didnít catch my roof on fire. This morning a walked through my yard throwing the fireworks trash back in their yard.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-05-2020, 10:58 AM

I think the "I hate fireworks" posts have been happening for over a week here

I was pretty surprised at the scarcity of fireworks here last night. I only heard a few. Our dog was the happiest she's ever been at this time of year.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 PM

I have damage to my garage due to the fireworks. What's also upsetting was watching the fathers allow kids ( no older than 8) to light them.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote