Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I just realized...

>

pdxteacher

I just realized...
Old 07-10-2020, 05:45 PM

If we go back to school with any sort of in-person student contact, I won't be able to be with my own parents until next summer. My dad is almost 70 with compromised lungs due to several severe bouts of pneumonia. They have been very strict about social distancing, and since I'm an introvert who doesn't like to go anywhere any way, we've felt pretty safe seeing each other. But if I start seeing kids again.... Thanksgiving? Christmas?

I know there are much bigger problems in the world. I just.... it's just making me sad right now.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 07-10-2020, 05:54 PM

I understand your worries. I live with my elderly parents. Not sure what the school year holds.
ChrisL77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-10-2020, 05:58 PM

Maybe not in cold weather, but it seems like you could still do an outdoor visit spaced 6 feet apart with masks, as that would be very low risk. Of course it's up to each person's comfort level.

My parents live across the country and I haven't seen them since Christmas. Usually we visit 4x per year. I was supposed to go in March, but cancelled as it was right when everything was ramping up. When things were looking up in June I thought I might be able to go this summer, but unfortunately the "things are looking okay" window was very short. Numbers in their area are very bad now and they feel like it's too dangerous for me to come.

I don't see how Thanksgiving and Christmas could possibly be any better; I feel like things are just going to get worse with winter months and regular flu going around too. Hopefully by next summer there is a vaccine and things have calmed down...but what if there isn't???
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 07-10-2020, 06:00 PM

That is so worrisome and I know it will be difficult. It's very encouraging that they are being so careful. Good for them.

It made me sad today. I went to Wal-Mart and of course all their back to school stuff was front and center. Even though I'm retired I still enjoy going through all the summer back to school sales. But of course this year is different.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

True Love
Old 07-10-2020, 06:18 PM

It is sad but means you love your father. Maybe you can see one another at the very end of Christmas break.

I would arrange to meet him outdoors when the weather is nice. Just wear masks and stay 6 or more feet apart.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-10-2020, 06:44 PM

That is exactly why I took advantage of some time in June to go visit my parents. My state was just beginning to release restrictions as wa s their state. I figured that things would just go up from there, so June might be my only chance, I am glad I went when I could. I donít know when the next time will be, but I am bound to find a way. I just wish they lived a little closer.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 07-10-2020, 08:29 PM

That is a concern of mine, too. We live a few hours away from our parents. I havenít seen my parents since January. We just pushed a visit back a few more weeks. DHís 95 year old grandmother live with his parents. We canít just go over for an outdoor meal. I donít think weíll see family for the holidays if we are physically back in school.
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Itís really sad
Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 PM

I had my 84-year-old Dad over for dinner last weekend and reminded him that it would be the last time that he and my brother (they live in the same house) will be able to get together in person with myself, my husband, and his two grandchildren for quite a while.

We have all been very good at staying safe but my son has a jr college class that started on Monday that has 2 in-person labs a week. I also signed up my younger daughter for in-person Kids at College classes that start next week small groups of 12 everyone with masks ó and of course, me back in the classroom at some time.

I do think about Thanksgiving - it has traditionally been at my house. Last year was our first one without Mom. I get very sad when I think about that and Christmas. Hopefully we will be in a better place then.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

That is EXACTLY what I was dealing with today
Old 07-10-2020, 10:37 PM

So, what, we donít get to see our parents?!!!! Our siblings?!!!!

This is so ridiculous. I give so much of myself to teaching. I canít even believe this is happening.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

happygirl444

Old 07-11-2020, 04:01 AM

It is sad. I imagine doctors, nurses, and all essential workers feel the same way about seeing their families. These are difficult times with lots of difficult decisions and sacrifices made by all of us.

happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 07-11-2020, 05:37 AM

yeah, we just got our re-opening plan that calls for in-person, all day school. I wondered if that will compromise my visits to my 95 year old mom. She is in good health but I would hate to transmit anything to her.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-11-2020, 05:43 AM

Yes, my district in Florida (well all of Florida) is calling for return to normal school. The only new guideline is masks all day (but eat breakfast and lunch in the classroom ). They have already stated that class sizes will be ďin alignment with prior years.Ē

I feel as though I am going to have to go back to self isolating once we are back. I donít know how long that will last... until maybe cases start to decrease? But, do we really think opening schools will help to bring numbers down? Not so much.

I always tell myself...
In the grand scheme of the world it may not be a big deal. But, in MY world it is a big deal so donít diminish how you feel.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM

Exactly.

My mom has a terminal lung disease. She lives 8 hours away. I last saw her at Christmas. We usually see her at least 3 or 4 times during the spring/summer, including a weeklong vacation with her and my siblings and their families. We can't risk it at all. And how much longer will this go on?

My dad is 75, has dementia and is physically disabled, and lives in a rehab center 11 hours away. He was diagnosed with COVID.

This is the worst part of all of this. I keep wondering when, if ever, will I get to see my parents again.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-11-2020, 10:55 AM

I'm the primary caregiver for my mom, who has terminal cancer. DH and I work in different districts, and both start with in-person classes next month. We are just going to take all the other precautions we can and hope for the best.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 07-11-2020, 01:17 PM

I agree Ima teacher. I care & live with my elderly parents. I will take every precaution I can and pray.
ChrisL77 is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I was thinking the same
Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 PM

My parents are in their 50s, and decently healthy (though overweight) and I frequently visit them. My dog LOVES them, their house, and their dog. I'm more worried about my dog being disappointed that we haven't seen his 'grandparents' than myself

I'm sure they'll think it's fine for me to visit, but I just imagine the guilt I'd feel if they got sick because of me.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Agreed!
Old 07-11-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
This is so ridiculous. I give so much of myself to teaching. I canít even believe this is happening.
So true! I was thinking about people not being able to see relatives, students not seeing grandparents, etc. if school goes back and it makes me so sad. I can't believe we are basically asked to do that. I'm not one to be worried or concerned about sickness, but even I think the risk is too high to go back and we shouldn't.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 07-11-2020, 07:33 PM

Yep, I haven't seen my mom in months. She just got diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. I'm going to go ahead and do a day visit next week and try to see her a couple more times before school starts in September. But if we go back to the buildings, I won't be able to go visit her.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote