Hey Everyone - Quick question about a demo lesson for my upcoming interview - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Writing & Language Arts

Hey Everyone - Quick question about a demo lesson for my upcoming interview

>

LStevens

Hey Everyone - Quick question about a demo lesson for my upcoming interview
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this online resource

I am fresh out of college with a B.A in English and Education and have a teaching certificate for English grades 6-12. I was asked to do a demo lesson next week for a Middle School Lang. Arts position at a private school. The students I will be teaching are in an advanced 6th grade class.

I wanted to focus on descriptive language. I'll have students complete a "Do Now" activity analyzing two passages (one with and one without descriptive language) and answer questions related to the passages. After, we will discuss what descriptive language is, how to write descriptively, and why it is so crucial to learn. After, students will have the opportunity to create a descriptive paragraph utilizing the elements we discuss. The lesson needs to be 30 minutes.

My question for all of you: is this too basic of a concept to teach an advanced group of 6th grade students? The last thing I want to do is prepare something that they already know completely...

Thank you SO very much for your help!!! I appreciate it

LStevens is offline   Reply With Quote