Help

Writing & Language Arts

Writing Workshop (middle school)

>

kbrown

Writing Workshop (middle school)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like some honest feedback. After teaching writing for 9 years, I feel like I need a change. I came across the book "In the Middle" by Nancie Atwell, and everything just clicked for me. I know that not all students are the same and I know that it is hard to make the change, but I have read such mixed reviews of Writing Workshop that I am honestly scared to death to even think about changing, especially in middle school. So honestly, do you use it? How do you use? Do you like it, and does it work?

kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

It works very well
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but one of the most important aspects to running a successful workshop is to let go of the idea that everyone must be planning at the same time, writing first copies at the same time....the letting go is what I would say is the hardest part for teachers. It's okay, even desirable, to have kids all over the place in terms of the writing process.

It's instant differentiation, because you're giving short mini lessons to individual kids or small groups--you give each kid what THEY need right now.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote