Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

When do you teach the comprehension strategies

>

iarunner

When do you teach the comprehension strategies
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious when you teach the comprehension strategies?

At the start of the year, I introduce (anchor chart) all of them. Then review all the strategies (at least 1... often 2-3) a day with minilessons, modeling, or by having students use them as we read some content area texts together. I've really liked doing it this way, since I feel students need to practice using all the strategies from the start of the year.

I know some teachers do a strategy a month. Does that seem to work better?

Thanks for your thoughts.

iarunner is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

You know
Old 07-06-2013, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I'd try more to see what each kid needs. Struggling readers will likely need to be taught nearly all of the strategies, but kids who are reading well not only probably don't need many of them, but would be bored learning them.

Have you heard of CAFE? Basically, you listen to the kids read and THEN determine what strategy a kid needs to be employing that he's not. You will find that you don't have 30 kids with 30 different problems--you have 30 kids with about four main problems--now you can form small groups and give each child what they need.

I guess I disagree that all kids need to use or practice all strategies. Good readers are good because they practice on their own. Many of the strategies you think you're "teaching" those kids are strategies they've already mastered.

I further think that I would not do a strategy a month, but I've always been about giving each kid what THEY need, not what the kid next to them needs. I would encourage you to remember that all your kids are at a different place in their journey, so they need different types of help--making everyone learn every strategy (it's October--time for use initial and final sounds to help us make a good guess) covers your bases, I guess, but how much more enriching and valuable for the good readers to be put in reader's workshop and poorer readers get taught this week's strategy.

I would continue with the anchor charts, so I could refer to them easily when teaching and so the kids could refer to them. I don't know, I think we kill reading for a lot of kids by making them learn strategies and do phonics worksheets instead of putting wonderful books into their little hands and seeing who needs what that way. I'm not saying that I think YOU are killing reading, just that I think it happens a lot.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote