Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Organizing Classroom library

>

Organizing Classroom library
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any suggestions for how to organize, inventory and keep up with your classroom library. I teach 6th grade ELA. I have lots of books and must organize them this summer for readers' workshop. Thanks for any help.

12345413 is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is what I use.

http://classroom.booksource.com/

Once you enter your books, the students can use the check out system to borrow from your library. It's really easy for the students to use. It's simple to keep track of the books you have and to edit and update when needed. You can print out reports of what's being checked out and by whom. I use it to keep track of the number of books students read and the genres they're reading.

You enter books into your library using their ISBN #s, and most of the time the title will automatically pop up often with a picture of the book cover. If the book isn't recognized, you just enter the book info yourself. Much easier than that sounds. There's also an app you can use from your smartphone that will enter the titles using the ISBN you scan. However, this doesn't work very often for me.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

volfan85

Wow...booksource is a great resource! Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

so much for sharing. I am not quite understanding one part though. Do you as the teacher check out the books for the students on the computer or are they responsible for that? Is it a time consuming process? In the past, I have always allowed students to take and exchange books at will without a time limit for keeping the books. This year I lost several books, however, and am interested in a new process. BTW I teach 7th grade RLA.
volfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Volfan
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've done both with the program. This past year, I trained about 6 students to check books out and it seemed to work well. It's a very easy process and program. They also have wonderful customer service.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

volfan85
Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I demo how to check out the books at the beginning of the year. I display our classroom username and password all year in case the kids forget. Each student signs on and check out/returns their own books. You can set a time limit for how long they are able to keep their books on the teacher page. Booksource will also send you emails telling you who has an overdue book if you set it up that way.

The only thing time consuming is entering all your books. I was fortunate enough to have my mom and sister do this for me before school started in August. However, since you have older students, you could very easily train a student how to enter them. It's very simple.

I agree with Kay/5. I had to contact customer service once when I thought all my books had disappeared. They quickly solved the problem for me.

trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thank you all
Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your great advice. Will follow up this summer.
12345413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enkidu

Bins, not shelves
Old 07-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use Booksource as well! I have it on my phone and just let them sit and take the phone if I am busy. I had my "librarians" put in all the books.

My books are in bins labeled with the letter of author's last name. The kids can take the whole bin and easily see the covers, and then they put them back in, no order needed other than the box letter.

I find:
A. It is easier.
B. Kids will put books back.
C. They will take out more books.
D. It looks kinda snazzy. (I have had the perfectionists complain there is not a pattern or order to the colored bins.)
Enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote