Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Vocabulary Strategies

>

wiseyoungcrow

Vocabulary Strategies
Old 04-12-2013, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with a fifth grader on vocabulary. I have been given some excellent resources, but does anyone have any fun strategies or games that I could do with her? We meet 2-3 times a week for about forty-five minutes. I am working on an LEA project with her now. Anything would be appreciated!

wiseyoungcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

haisleysmimi

Vocabulary
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a couple of suggestions for vocabulary activities you could possibly use. I would suggest you to try working with the student on learning and modeling analogies. These can be alot of fun and children enjoy them. Writing analogies helps students understand the words at a deeper level. I would also suggest an activity called Synonym/Definition Concentration. For this activity you would first read and discuss a story from an informational book that includes new vocabulary. The purpose of this version of Concentration is to have students match the word with its definiton or its synonym. During the reading, explain any vocabulary that he or she does not understand. After reading the book, choose 10 important words and write them on index cards. Create an equal number of index cards with synonym or concise definition of each word. Turn all 20 cards face down. Have him or her turn over the cards one by one and match the words with the correct synonyms or defintion. I have used this activity and the student enjoyed it. I got this idea from a textbook - Literacy assessment and intervention for classroom teachers by Beverly DeVries.
haisleysmimi is offline   Reply With Quote

wiseyoungcrow

Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I actually have that same textbook! I did like that idea and the Florida Center for Reading Research has pdf files available with many resources. My friend just recently told me about this site. http://www.fcrr.org/
Thank you for the idea!
wiseyoungcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Orclayes

fcrr.org
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great site!!! I use it regularly
Orclayes is offline   Reply With Quote