Visual & Performing Arts

Am I a bad music teacher because...

>

latebloomer72

Am I a bad music teacher because...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't teacher recorders?

Most of the adults I know don't look fondly upon their recorder memories, I use other instruments to teach note reading, and it seems like a bit of a waste of my time. I have string instruments in my classroom (dulcimers, ukuleles, guitars) and have just acquired enough keyboards for the students to use. Is recorder really something I need to have to be a good music teacher? My principal opposes making kids purchase things due to our school socio-economic make up (lots of poverty), and so I can't have them buy their own to keep. What do you think?

latebloomer72 is offline   Reply With Quote

sickoffern

sickoffern

surprised
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm surprised to hear so many people fondly look back on recorders. I thought it was a waste of time when I was a child. I notice, at least where I subbed, records seem to be going the way of the dodo.
Snowy Ice

Snowy Ice

Wow!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your not a bad music teacher. Everyone is perfect in their own way! And teachers like us are teaching the kids so we are also smart!
Snowy Ice

Snowy Ice

Please!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Please do not say "dodo" it is weird.

Alicia G

Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, I much prefer boomwackers! They are "cooperative" and don't go out of tune. They aren't expensive but are not cheap either. If your school is one a tight budget, you can google how to make them out of golf club holder tubes (is that what they are called, the long white or black tubes you put in a golf bag to keep the clubs from getting all beat up and tangled).

Boomwackers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDjseDmDLes

I personally love recorders -- but not when it's a bunch of elementary kids playing them. Ouch! I have six recorders and enjoy playing them and hearing others REALLY play them.

Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote