Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Literature Circle Assessments

>

silpada girl

Literature Circle Assessments
Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do lit circles in my classes, sometimes with 7 or 8 novels going at the same time. How do I manage assessments on these novels. I do conference and listen in to discussions, but I am uncomfortable giving them a grade. It seems so loosey goosey compared to a written test with comprehension questions. I have 75 students and need to make it manageable for correcting.

Does anyone use a form or checklist? The kids are good with basic comprehension because the books are at their reading level. I'm not sure how else to get relevant reading grades that are aligned with the new common core.

silpada girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

genre studies
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One way I approach this is by doing genre studies so that all lit circles are reading the same genre and complete work towards understanding the elements (so for example mystery includes conflict/solution and characters who solve the "crime".)

So many of the written responses are things like graphic organizers that fit each book generically. I've just added vocab. from the CCSS this year to ramp it up.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

I write my own novel curriculums
Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and the kids complete those as they read. Really, they're just comprehension questions, but they hit character development, theme, prediction, words in context, all that stuff. By the time they come to the end of the book, if they do so in a timely fashion, they've hit all the reading standards.

This works for me whether I'm running one book, three books, or twelve.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ladijen148

Reader's Response/Journals
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have my students write a reader's response each time they read. I have the students to write down what they are thinking or what questions are running through their head. It allows you to see if the student really understands the novel. You could even give them a list a questions they need to answer while their reading and they can be general so it would match all the novels. Ex: Identify a conflict in the story so far. Is the conflict internal or external and how do you know?
ladijen148 is offline   Reply With Quote