Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

new to literature circles

>

deehaw

new to literature circles
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 7th grade next year and have never taught literature before. I would like to try and do literature circles and have found a wealth of info online. My question is, do the students read the novel or sections of the novel BEFORE gathering in literature circles or does the reading occur during the session?

deehaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Wendy 31

In 5th grade Literature Circles...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

my students have a reading assignment and literature circle job assignment. They come to their group with both jobs complete and ready to share their work. If I'm not meeting with them, the leader checks off a sheet to make sure that everyone did their jobs, the group decides on the next reading assignment, and then shares their learning.

If I am meeting with a group, they will share their what they did with their job, read some sections with me while we implement a new strategy, I check to make sure that the book is still a good match for them, then we look at the next reading assignment and dismiss. When reading with me, I will have a specific reading strategy I want that particular group to work on. Usually it is something that we have learned in class or a skill that group needs to strengthen.

My struggling readers are partnered with a friend so that I know that they have read it before they get to their group.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Wendy 31 is offline   Reply With Quote

deehaw

Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Wendy! That gives me a general idea of what to do. I appreciate it!
deehaw is offline   Reply With Quote