When should I look for a teaching position? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Job Search

When should I look for a teaching position?

>

Gatorman

Gatorman

When should I look for a teaching position?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'd like to become a full-time teacher (middle school) starting in the 2006-07 school year. However, I'm wondering when I should start applying for a job within a school district. I do not want to start this school year, for I'm happy with my current status. I've always believed that most positions would be available April-July. Am I right? Is that timeframe too early or late to be applying? Or have I been misinformed? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
- I live in Florida.

Mini

Mini

Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not from Florida, but around here in Jersey I see jobs open up around April....some schools hire most of their staff by the end of May to get it done with and will hire more over the summer if they get more openings....I would think April would be the earliest to send things out if you want something for next year...hope that helps!

phoebe611

job hunting
Old 11-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Start EARLY!!! I would start searching, sending out resumes, etc. in February. Last year I started looking in March (I used the week of Spring Break) to get my papers in order then mailed them. I had a few interviews, but several schools, especially the one I really had my eye on, had just the week or two before, filled a position that I would have loved! Nothing else panned out and I was stuck waiting until the beginning of this school year to see if there were any last minute hirings. There were no positions I was qualified for or wanted to take. Start EARLY!!!
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote