Help

The Job Search

Is teaching still for me?

>

10.5years

Is teaching still for me?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to know if anyone else has had/has a problem like mine. I am currently taking a year off and wondering if I ready to get out of education or am I just burned out. I had 8 wonderful years of teaching and 2.5 horrible years! I have taught in four different districts and in two different states. My first 3 years were in a very nurturing environment and I left with a very good reference from my principal. We moved to TN and I taught there for 4 years and my principal gave me a good reference. We moved to another back to my previous state and I was hired into one of the state's best districts. My first year there was wonderful! My principal gave me an outstanding end of the year evaluation.
The next year my principal's attitude towards me changed drastically. I STILL TO THIS DAY DO NOT KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENED!!!!!!! By the spring of my second year there year she said was moving me from K to 4th. The next year I could not do anything to please her. By October she had put me on an improvement plan and had set up for three supervisors to come in and watch me teach. During that semester I had 27 students, my lowest average was a 73, I had not sent a child to the office, and did not have any parental complaints!!!! This was to much for me and I left at Christmas.
The next spring and summer I was ready to get back in the classroom and missed teaching. I went on several interviews and was almost hired by two pricipals, but was told they could not hire me because my last principal said she would not hire me again. I was finally hired in a district that has a severe teacher shortage.
I was so happy to be teaching again; I even was hired to teach a grade I always wanted to teach. I had 27 students with only 20 on grade level. I was also given a class full of behavior problems. MY principal and both vice-principal were aware of these problems. I had their support until December and then they turned on me. All of a sudden they started writing me up for going to the restroom too much, sending in too many referrals for discipline, and so on. In Feb. they put me on an improvement plan for classroom discipine and my student's grades. Now remember, at the beginning of the year they verbally told me how they were aware of my students academic levels and behavior problems. To make matters worse my teacher's aide was bad mouthing me the whole time. There is no telling what all she said about me!
I wonder if God has sent me these incidents to tell me to get out of education or just to make me a stronger person? I need some advice. Thanks

10.5years is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

I do not know
Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It would be good to reflect on those two incidents and see if there are any similarities. I think you should return to teaching if you love it but before you do figure out what happened so it does not happen again. Best wishes!!
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

You should stay if teaching is what you love
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm a little concerned though. Is it possible to find out what is in your file from your previous job? I know that in my district we have the right to review our personnel file and remove negative information every few years. I'm trying to say this with the best intent and not attack but it is especially important that you are reflective and honest with yourself about what could have happened ( I know we don't share every detail in our posts) Because it will be difficult to explain to a potential employer why you have had two similar incidents in two different districts.

Rather than dwell on the fact that you didn't make any mistakes, it was the administrator etc. try and turn it around to what you learned and what you will do differently in the future. You need to find out what negative information is out there about you.
tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

10.5years

file and experience
Old 03-15-2009, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You make a very good point! I do need to look at my file and would love to be able to remove the negative information. I have done a lot of reflecting over the past few months. I love teaching and watching their "lightbulbs lighting off."
Has anyone else had experiences like these? How do you overcome it? I am an eternal optimist; I am also a realist. I know that two experiences look bad. Also, I would like to know if my weight has anything to do with it. I need to lose about 150 pounds. I was 80 pounds overweight and then had begin using steriods and gained another 70 pounds.
10.5years is offline   Reply With Quote

tbell0407

What makes it difficult
Old 03-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

is that an employer can't say specifics about you, they can only say if they would or would not hire you again. If a former principal says they wouldn't take you back...well then enough said. Also, it may seem a little shady but can you try and use someone else as a reference instead of those two principals?

Don't get discouraged. What you need is to put a good reference ahead of the bad ones. If you need to go back to school or take a class in classroom management or observe other teachers to get new and fresh ideas or something along those lines do it so you can honestly say you have reflected and you have been working hard to improve. In other words, sell yourself as the teacher you say you are and know you are.

BTW, if the first principal put you on an improvement plan then use those areas as your jumping off place. What did she want you to work on? Once you re-trace your steps you should be ok.

tbell0407 is offline   Reply With Quote

Krissy

some support
Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with tbell, use these weaknesses and turn them into strengths. What ever breaks you down will only make you stronger. (sorry I can't remember the exact quote, but you get the point). Do not let administrators prohibit you from doing something you love. Schools could use more teachers like you. From reading your post, it seems that your problems started after you already had 8 successful years of teaching. Something seems fishy to me. Is there anyway to relocate to the area/districts where you had so much success? Please be aware that the education field can be brutal. If an administrator doesn't like you, they can make things very difficult for you as you have already experienced. Please continue to find a teaching job. I am sure there is one out there for you.
Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I absolutely feel your pain! I had taught in a school for 5 years when new principal came in. I did not fit her agenda. I was told I was not a team player and other things. I didn't know how to become a team player for her, so I endured and left at the end of the year. I was super involved in the school and particiapated or chaired every event that occurred. Not sure what else I needed to do to be a team player. Rumors around town were that she had her own people she wanted to bring on board and the only way to do so was weed out teachers. Well, she got her wish and when I left I thought I'd never teach again because I felt so beat down. I half heartedly applied for a position and was hired. The praise I get is amazing! My point is sometimes personalities or agendas don't match. I did do some reflection to make sure she was not right and realize I am a team player who would do anything for my job. It's good to be working in an environment where my efforts are appreciated.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

goldenrule

Is Teaching still for me.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel your pain, as I am experiencing burn out after almost 11 years in elementary education. Unfortunately in these days and times Teachers are not given much support for students who have special needs. As general educators we are not really equipped to deal with these students. Unfortunately, special need students are being mainstreamed back into the classroom and this will be a continuing trend. When you don't enjoy your job at least 70% of the time then I think it is time to reconsider. I think the stress, the lack of support and low pay as Teachers cause us to look at jobs that would be more lucrative and based on our performance. I would urge you to contact your union representative for assistance and intervention for your situation if you have not already done so, they can be a good support for you. When you sit down to meet with your rep and principal some things may come out in that conference that you are not aware of. Yes sometimes there are tests that come our way to make us better or stronger. Hang in there if this is what you want! or you might consider a transfer-- as someone has mentioned that sometimes personalities can clash.
goldenrule is offline   Reply With Quote