The Job Search

When to look for 1st teaching job

>

LauraTeach

When to look for 1st teaching job
Old 10-30-2005, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

I will be finished my teacher education program in July, 2006. I was wondering when schools typically begin posting vacancies for the next school year and when I should start applying for positions.

Thanks for any advice!
Laura

LauraTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

*Annie*

applying is all we do
Old 11-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No one may have answered your post yet cuz we're still reeling from not getting a job again this year! But I will tell you for regular elementary ed, I usually start seeing jobs posted for the following year in April. (I know there are job fairs in the spring so keep an eye out for those too, although they often are seeking the science, sp. ed and math teachers, etc..). I will start sending out my "application materials" during that time and will continue throughout the summer until even after school begins! Many districts post online and I rarely use the newspaper. Right now I sub and look for long-term assignments (maternity leaves, etc). You will see job openings for sp. ed and other "specialty" jobs all year and long lines at the elementary education "door".... but, we must truck on!
*Annie* is offline   Reply With Quote
StillLooking

StillLooking

Depends
Old 11-04-2005, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It also depends upon where you are. I have heard that one of our districts here starts posting jobs sometime in March. I have also heard that the jobs are often filled by the time they are posted, and that posting is therefore mostly a formality. In addition, although most job openings occur in the spring, they do have vacancies throughout the year for various reasons. What you should do depends upon whether jobs for teachers are scarce or abundant in your area.

I have been looking for my first teaching job for over a year now. We have a very crowded job market where I live. In the meantime, I am subbing. I think I am getting closer to getting something, but only time will tell.

It might help you to do substitute teaching right now before you graduate. This would give you a chance to get experience and make contacts with insiders who might be able to help you get in.
Melinda

Melinda

around here
Old 11-22-2005, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You need to apply in January for fall jobs. Many schools perform "prescreening interviews". The process worked like this:
1. complete formal application packet
2. interview with the director of personnel
3. screening interview with a panel of principals in the district
4. interview for a specific position with the principal of that school

The first interview was arranged at the end of January. Jobs were not officially posted until April 1. If you hadn't applied early enough to go through the entire interview process, you couldn't interview for an actual open position (unless you KNOW someone).

When I graduated, the elem ed market here was very flooded. Despite a 3.75 gpa, 10 years full-time work experience, and glowing recommendations from my previous employers, it took me 4 years and an additional certification area to get a full time job. There were many in the same boat. Some gave up entirely and are doing other things now. At the larger district in our area, there are about 22 elementary schools. I was told (at nearly every interview with them) that they had only 5-6 jobs available, and they had over 300 qualified applicants. At the school where I finally got a job (8 years now!), it took me 3 separate interviews. I was told at the first interview that they had 1 job opening, over 100 applicants, and they were interviewing exactly 10 people -- 7 of which were from their small town of < 2000. I finally was hired two years later and am very happy at this school.

It is just a tough area to get hired in, in many areas. Keep trying. And if you don't get hired in the spring or summer, be available the first week of school. There are always enrollment surprises, especially in kindergarten. I have gone on 3 separate interviews over the first 6-7 days of school. I have literally been called at work and asked to be there in one hour, so be ready just in case.

Also, a lot of people I know have ended up employed full time after substituting at the same school(s) for a year or two. If you are a good sub, you will get called a lot.

Good luck!

P.S. When you are interning, be sure and get to know the people you work with and the principal. I didn't do much of that because I was just too shy. I have a student teacher this semester who is very outgoing, has talked to everyone here, invited our principal in to watch numerous times, etc. She has a few weeks left, and has already been hired to tutor after school. My principal has asked my opinion of her 2-3 times already and stated that she thinks she will be a good teacher. I agree.